From 2008 13" uMB to 2011 MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imaginex20, Mar 4, 2011.

1. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Hi All,

Just wanted to share my experience with my recent transition from a 2.0 Ghz, 4GB ram Unibody Macbook to 2.3 i5 MBP. So, I had the 2008 MB for roughly 3 years and figured if I could sell it and make a decent amount that I would get a new MBP. I posted my computer on craigslist and got $750 for it and was stoked, so I bought the new MBP.

I just received it in the mail today and very excited about the purchase. The comp definitely feels snappier compared to my old laptop. I have 8GB of ram which should be coming in the mail soon and still debating if I want an SSD drive.

One thing I notice about this laptop is that the CPU is idling at 54 degrees Celsius. I don't know if this is normal or not but that seems high. I think my previous laptop idled at 46 degrees or so. My iMac Core2duo 3.06 Ghz idles at 29 Degrees Celsius. Is this normal?

2. Pikkuroope macrumors member

The new MBPs do get a bit hot, it seems. Just google it and you'll notice people are asking the very same thing. It was the same thing with mid2010 MBPs, mine is rolling at 52°C now and it's totally normal. As long as the temperature stays below 100°C in every situation, you'll be fine. Of course if it idles at like 80°C there's got to be something wrong.

3. convertedmac macrumors newbie

Wow, you got a great price for the old computer. Good stuff.

I'd say jump on the SSD for sure. Friends of mine who have one love it and you can notice the computer feeling snappier for sure. Reviews are always solid on them too.

I have a MBP 13" 2010 2.4 and it idles ~40 degrees...don't know if that helps?

4. imaginex20 thread starter macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Yep, I got a really good deal for my old laptop. I was very satisfied with the sale price.

About the SSD, I'm just hoping in the next few weeks prices are going to drop for the new generation sata 3 SSD drives. Another option is the seagate momentus XT drive but I heard those drives has problems. I dunno