Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJcaP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Am I the only one thinking of going from the 6 Plus to the 6s ? Although I consider the 6 Plus to be the best phone since the iPhone 4, I think that I should shake things up a bit (besides going from SG to silver).

A few observations (and concerns) I've made/have:

-I kinda miss the "personal" feel a smaller phone has.
-Using the 6 Plus this past year, I felt as if I was displaying my life for the world to see every time I whipped out the phone.
-Although I have large hands, I'm kinda tired of the slight inconvenience the Plus brings to daily usage (stretching, "un-natural" one hand manipulation)
-Now more than ever with the Watch, I don't think I NEED such a large canvas
-I'm also worried if the size of the 6s Plus will hinder the convenience of 3D touch.
-The 5.5 inch display, though, is just down right gorgeous.
-I love watching videos on the Plus, so much that my iPad mini has kinda been in the sidelines this past year.

-And my burning question: is there really a difference with the cameras besides Optical Image Stabilization on the Plus? What advantages have I been getting with it?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The new Plus also lists Optical Image Stabilization for video, which no other phone in the lineup has. But they didn't really talk about it, did they? That part I might have missed as I was getting ready to leave.

I'm trying to make the same decision as you. I really am very disappointed they didn't increase the ppi on the 6S display because I've done a lot of side by side comparison in the store and the 6S display is less clear in details and slightly more dotty or jaggy in texts. Slightly, but I can see it.

So for me, the trade offs are you get a less attractive display, lose OIS in still and video photography, and lose battery life in going with a 6S over a 6s Plus. In return you gain a more pocketable phone and a possibly smoother, faster operating experience. I'm not sure of the latter because that may be subject to change now with the A9 and a possible memory increase to 2GB.

I'm leaning toward keeping the larger phone size. For me it's the battery. Normally I'd be fine with the 6S but on days like today when traffic problems required me to go way out of my way and use the Siri navigation (Apple Maps) I ended up burning up some battery capacity. My two decades+'econobox car has no way to accommodate a charger. I needed my phone when I got home too. I was glad to have that extra capacity when I need it. But goodness I'm so sick of carrying that damn thing around. And now they've gone and made it heavier. :confused:

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
I'm going from a 6 Plus to a 6S.

In fact, one of the reasons why I decided to participate in this generation is simply because I thought it made sense to wait for the '16 iPhone example rather than trade with someone for a regular 6 (which is very easy to do on craigslist).

While I was singing the 6 Plus's praises the first few months, once I dropped and broke the glass trying to fumble with typing with one hand I had enough - while the battery life is great, I am very much tired of a phone everyone behind me has a clear view of.

Currently I'm using a company provided 16 GB base 6 so I've had the opportunity to compare and it's only confirmed my choice with the 4.7" screen. Honestly I haven't really noticed a difference in picture taking on the regular 6 vs 6 Plus, I'm sure OIS plays a part here and there but frankly I don't think you'd miss it.

Reactions: hushmartin

est1738

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I am the same. Im on a boat, thinking of switching from the 6plus to the 6s. While I have managed this last year with the 6plus it has made me change a few ways I deal with my phone. I know I will miss the screen real-estate of the 6plus and Im not sure I will miss OIS as I dont take a ton of videos. Its more or less for me a phone that I will be able to use one handed after a case is put on it comfortably. Im hoping the iphone 7 (yes I know early) will have a 5-5.1 inch screen as that is my sweet spot.

hushmartin

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
Kansas
I posted this in another thread too. Yes, I'm downsizing. The plus is just obnoxiously large and has been a complete pain in my rear this whole time. I've actually dropped this phone numerous times, where I have never been prone to drops before. My last phone was the htc one m9, its about the same size as the 6s, and I think it was perfect. (Still love that phone, just hated android.)

The plus has far fewer accessories, doesn't fit in any of my clutch purses, and is just completely inconvenient size wise. I wind up leaving it in the car or having to make BF carry it when we go out, which means I don't really have easy access to it-- I've taken far fewer pics this year. Looking forward to a more manageable sized phone.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Am I the only one thinking of going from the 6 Plus to the 6s ? Although I consider the 6 Plus to be the best phone since the iPhone 4, I think that I should shake things up a bit (besides going from SG to silver).

-Using the 6 Plus this past year, I felt as if I was displaying my life for the world to see every time I whipped out the phone.
-Although I have large hands, I'm kinda tired of the slight inconvenience the Plus brings to daily usage (stretching, "un-natural" one hand manipulation)
-I'm also worried if the size of the 6s Plus will hinder the convenience of 3D touch.
-I love watching videos on the Plus, so much that my iPad mini has kinda been in the sidelines this past year.

-And my burning question: is there really a difference with the cameras besides Optical Image Stabilization on the Plus? What advantages have I been getting with it?

I got the 6 first and the 6+ a few days later. Been on the + for months now and the 6 seems so small!!!

Before you jump play with the 6:rolleyes:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I thought about it. I really do prefer how the 4.7" feels, but I'm too used to the screen. I've never actually dropped mine, and it's rare I ever used my phone one handed even in the 3.5" days, so I stuck with the plus.

If they ever make a 5.0" phone with a 1080p screen, I might go for that.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011

Im making the same transition for pretty much the same reasons. The biggest thing i'll miss is probably the better battery life.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Went from the Ip6 to the Nexus 6 with a 5.9 inch Quad screen. Coming back to the IP 6 S Plus. I like a big screen and I am used to it now.

bball2

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Posted in this another thread, but going to try out the iPhone 6S after using the 6 Plus for the last year or so:

My phone contract was up last month so I decided to pre-order the the regular iPhone 6S from Telus (Canada), the $130 difference was probably a bigger difference for me than the size of the phone (I can palm a basketball so don't have any trouble reaching the corners of the 6 plus one handed and without reachability). I've had the 6 Plus for the past year and really like it - esp. the battery life which has been the best out of any phone that I've owned thus far. I'll see how the new 6S compares - and sell whichever one I like using less.​

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
I think a lot of folks realized the 6+ wasn't for them. Personally I wouldn't ever go back, but now is a great time to do it if you want to.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
The only time I'm downsizing is if they release a 5" display or shrink the bezels.

A few android phones with a 5.5" display are much easier to hold with the smaller bezels. I'll wait to see what they do with the iPhone 7.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I did the opposite, I have a 6 now and I stepped it up to the 6s+...I am so nervous. Oh well, I can always swap it out if its not for me, right?

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I prefer the 6+ over the standard 6. I like the larger screen, OIS and longer battery life. A lot of my pictures are taken in low light conditions and the OIS really helps. The only downside is that it runs slower than 6 due to the resolution scaling it has to do. Even with a case, the phone fits just fine in my pocket and my gf's handbags.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
I've been pondering going this route too.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 6 Plus, especially the battery life, and can notice the 401ppi vs 326ppi screen, but toting that thing around does get annoying at times.

That, and the fact that the 6S is still available for release day delivery, even on ATT, does make it more enticing.

Decisions decisions. Luckily I'm not in a huge rush this year, unlike last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.