From 6 to Android then back to 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryankul, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ryankul macrumors regular

So I started with a iPhone 6. I liked it but thought it was missing something.. I didn't like that it felt more fragile, slippery in the hand, protruding camera lens and overall size. If it didn't have as large of bezels and the physical size was smaller i think it would make a huge difference in my opinion. With a case the size was even worse.

So onward from the 6 I tried a couple different Android phones. Most recently the Droid Turbo. Great phone but has some issues. Wireless charging that was touted didn't work well. Several wireless charging plates later with same results. Phone would have to be positioned precisely to charge (case on or not). Also the nylon fabric stitching started to fray just days in to using it (I baby my stuff). Phone was getting super hot randomly regarding which charging method or even during use.

So while back in the store I was checking out other phones. I missed iOS apps, usage and layout but didn't want the iPhone 6. I started playing with the iPhone 5S. I initially thought I was crazy.. Why would I even consider an outdated 5S? But.. The phone fits good in the hand, extremely pocketable even with a case on. Touch id, nice camera, latest iOS and more. Couple days in and still happy. Wish I would've done this before trying other phones.

So anyone else find the 5S more appealing over the 6? Hoping Apple can cut down the bezels on the 6S or make a 4"/4.5" version. Just my personal opinion but figured I'd share.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it were me, I'd wait until the 6s, hits the streets. Nonetheless, good luck on your new phone :)

3. ryankul thread starter macrumors regular

If I couldve I would have. Needed a new phone now. Plus if the 6S or whatever they're going to call it doesn't slim down or have a smaller version I'd be looking at the sea of Android devices..

4. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

they really need to stop with this thinness craze. almost impossible to hold without a case thanks to the material and the thinness.

the iPhone 4S was a perfect thickness. imagine that thickness with the 6+?

the battery would probably last 20 hours of usage.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

With you 100%. I hope the Apple days of "thinner" are over! Just cause they cna make it thinner does not mean it is good to do.

6. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The 5S feels really good in hand. I could not part with mine, and am keeping it as a backup.

7. ryankul thread starter macrumors regular

I like the overall physical size of the 5/5C/5S. I definitely agree on the thin kick they are on. I would much prefer durability and better battery life. I was just saying maybe not having big bezels (black or white open space on top and bottom). I don't want or need a crazy thin device. 5S is great in my hand. Maybe a 4.5" / 4.7" of the chins were shrunk down for easier handling.

8. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

For me the 4/4S were perfect. The 5/5S is good as well but already a tiny little bit too big for me. I don't think it's "crazy" that you went from a 6 to a 5S. And it isn't outdated. I am considering buying a 4S with iOS 6 on it. People called me crazy in another thread. I only need it for iMessage, and the Calendar, Reminders and Notes synced with iCloud. And eventually Mail or Safari here and there. But people came up with stuff like, the 4S will extremely lag when playing Candy Crush, it's a dinosaur and ancient. Oh the kids. :p

9. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Agreed. 5s is the fastest of the 4" so I just bought a new one. I had the 6 and 6 plus 128gb prior.

If they make the next gen same size but thinner I'd be all in. Smaller bezel with bigger screen would be awesome as well. 6 is about as thin as they should make it. I wish the 5s was as thin as the six.

10. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

I got a 5S. The size is just perfect without getting inconvenient. It's almost as fast as iPhone 6 for the native resolution. Consumes less RAM due to smaller screen size. No ridiculous upscaling/downscaling going on in the background. Except the laggy weather app, the phone is butter smooth.

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

To be honest, I was considering downgrading to the 5S after I get the Apple Watch. Probably won't end up doing it but it is tempting. Very tempting.

12. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

4S thickness on a 6+? :eek:

You'd hate it and the extra weight. The battery life would be incredible though.:cool:

13. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I just ordered a 5S from TMO. The 6+ is awesome, but it's a PITA to pocket and at the gym. Heck, even the Note 4 is very manageable in comparison, and it has a larger screen!!

Cant wait to get the 5S!

14. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

i'm sure i'd get used to it.

the 6+ was way too big at first but i gave myself a few days to get used to it and now the 6 is too small. every time my dad hands me his phone to show me a picture i'm like :rolleyes:

15. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

lol. That's why I went with the iPhone 6 this time. I wanted to start with the smaller one and see how well I adjusted to a bigger screen.

Now I want a 6S+ lol.

16. FeliApple macrumors 6502

Hello everyone! First time poster, long time reader. I am of the ones that think that Tech devices can last for years and do not need to be updated every year, so I will buy the most comfortable for myself. I was debating from an iPhone 5s 32GB or an iPhone 6 64GB. (No 5s 64GB option anymore) And I finally decided to buy the 5s, due to screen size. I preferred the smaller form factor and I found the 5s very comfortable, and do not regret. I use my iPhone for phone things, as I use my iPad 4 and iPod Touch 5G for everything else, so didn't find the iPhone 6 advantages better over the iPhone 5s's form factor. Very pleased with my decision and I hope that I don't need to update my iPhone in a long time.

17. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

While I do have a iPhone 6, I agree with your comments about buying what's comfortable for you. My woman has an iPhone 5 and it's basically like brand new. She put iOS 8.3 on it today and performance is great. I myself kinda miss the size of the 5 as well and hope that future versions have a 4in option.

18. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I loved my 5S much more than my 6 purely on design, my ideal is iPhone 5S design but with the 4.7" screen of the 6. :cool:

19. Erphern macrumors 6502

Same. 6, then 128GB 6 Plus for a few months, which I sold last week on Swappa and bought myself a new 5S at the local Apple store. Couldn't be happier.

20. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I don't think you're crazy. I know plenty of people who prefer the small iPhone. I also agree that the new iPhones are really hard to hold onto. I was hoping to go caseless but it was just too slippery and thin. I'm also downsizing from the 6 Plus to the 6S when it comes out this autumn so that it's easier to manage. But I know a lot of people who don't want to use Android and love their iPhone who refuse to get even the 4.7" size. I think Apple is making a mistake if they don't offer at least a 4" size that is a generation behind. There's no reason you couldn't put the iPhone 6 internals into a thicker 4" shell. The iPhone 6 battery is only slightly higher capacity than the iPhone 5S. The only thing I can think of is that Apple is hoping to significantly reduce the bezel on the iPhone 7 with Force Touch ID built into the display, making the 4.7" body size nearly as small as the older 4" models. But many people won't want to keep around their 5S until the 7 comes out.

21. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

I went from 5 to 6 to 6+ and just bought a 32gb 5S. Sadly it's silver/white as I prefer black iPhones but it needed to be on a jail breakable build. The one I bought on Swappa is on 8.1 and hopefully battery life is decent. I've had all the Notes and have been in the large phone size over on Android for a long long time but since the whole household is on OS X/iOS products, it made sense for me to have an iOS phone also. I go back and forth a lot, but man every Note I've had, I have loved, but I eventually get tired of the size. I'm there now with the 6+ and should have known better. Plus Apple does a terrible job of taking advantage/utilizing all the screen real estate. My 5 was/has been my favorite phone. It was on 7.0.5 jailbroken and I ran it like that til the day I sold it shortly after the 6's dropped. The only thing I required was TouchID as I'm in love with that feature, so the 5S made sense.

BTW scored the 5S for $284. So I'm happy with the deal. Already debating ordering a new battery from iFixIt along with a black face and black back case. I know I won't be able to swap the TouchID/Home button (At least I don't think so) but I know I'm going to hate the whiteness. (insert thatsracist.gif) :p

22. M5RahuL, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I got a great deal from TMO on the 64GB 5S. Unfortunately, they're all out of the black ones (which is what I wanted too) so opted for the gold this time around..

Def looking fwd to using the tiny :p 5S again :D

23. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I would wait to see if they do launch a 6C, as that could be their best 4" phone yet?
    I may take a look at it, I don't know what device to get, I need to save the money and every time I look at the 32gb iPhone 6 price sim free I bulk, its just too much money for 32gb, now if they change it this year so the 16gb model is scrapped and they make it 32gb than I would look at it, but then if they were going to do that they would have this year instead of price gouging.

Then again it all depends on the camera they put into their phones this year.

Anyway, I will look at the 6C if they make one, just make the body thinner and sleeker, the 5c thicker then the 5S, give it an enhanced a7 chip, touch Id, enhanced camera and 16gb. And I'll take a look if its the same price as the 5c is.
    Hmm the one thing that stops me from iPhone is the storage options for the price.

I like the design of the iPhone 6, but lots of people do find it very slippery and I don't use cases so that's a worry, plus its the same size as my Nexus 5 which I can find a tad big at times.

I have to say, and always have, one of the beat designed gadgets I have ever owned was the iPhone 4. It was compact and the stainless steel side frame was pure class, and that was with the antenna gate. It was like a piece of jewellery even more so the the Apple Watch!

Anyway, what I'm saying is their is nothing wrong at all preferring smaller devices.