From 7.1.2 JB to 8 and 5s to 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by creativedogmedia, Sep 8, 2014.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Have a 5s on 7.1.2 JB and will either go to iOS 8 GM tomorrow or just wait for the 6 next week. I've had issues with restores when going from one OS to another before. How should I go about backup up and restoring from my JB to iOS 8? I'll be selling my 5s next week. Should I leave JB on it ? More attractive!

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I think you answered your own question :p

3. Mars Is Waiting macrumors member

Mars Is Waiting

I personally like iOS 8 more than a jail broken iOS 7. It's a matter of preference

4. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Ha! So just backup to iTunes and then reset all? When I get the 6 and restore it will restore correctly?

5. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Oh, I just re-read the OP. Well, you can't just restore your jailbreak to iOS 8, you need to wait for an iOS 8 jailbreak.

Backtracking a bit, I am pretty sure that you need to use a tweak backup tool, and then backup/restore with iTunes. When when a jailbreak comes out for iOS 8, you can then use the same tweak backup tool to restore the tweaks.

6. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Sorry, wasn't clear. Not looking to bring over JB tweaks. Just want most effective, efficient way to backup normal device data on 7.1.2 prior to moving to iOS 8 on the 6.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

Does anyone remember if we were able to downgrade from iOS 7 GM to an earlier version? I'm guessing we can since the GM isn't "official" out yet.

8. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Make back up via iCloud and on your iTunes just to make sure you have a back up.
    Restore iPhone 5s to iOS 7.1.2 ASAP, jailbreak, and sell it. You may not be able to go back to iOS 7.1.2 after upgrading to iOS 8.
    Get iPhone 6, restore from back up from iCloud or iTunes and then you're all set!

9. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

You can always DFU restore currently signed iOS version. So there's going to be small window when iOS 7.1.2 is still being signed by Apple once iOS 8 is officially released. So no issues to load the GM later today and try it before making decision whether to go back to 7.1.2 w/ jailbreak.

10. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Will I be able to do this next Thursday night? Meaning will 7.1.2 still be available?

11. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Based on prior major iOS updates, there's like a 2-3 day window the prior one was still being signed. But to avoid that and a longer chance to play with iOS 8, you can always install the GM.