From a day-to-day business perspective - the new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by elgrecomac, Mar 13, 2012.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

My one big issue with my ipad2 is its inability to handle detailed note taking which would allow me to transport only my iPad form meeting to meeting. Now before you start telling me about penultimate or other note taking software, my big issue has been the writing stylus...with a thick tip and no ability to have fine line notes. And before you go off on the great writing stylus' in the market place, I have bought most of them and they still don't fit the bill.

BUT I believe the issue has not been the software or stylus but, rather, with the ipad2's inability to allow fine point writing due to the screen resolution. Now with 4X as many pixels on the screen very fine point drawing becomes a reality ...and I believe the paper notebook's days are numbered. This will be true in the class room as well: text books, notes etc all on the iPad.

So on a single device I can access my mail, work with word, excel and PowerPoint files, access the web, participate in WebEx or Gotomeeting meetings AND take handwritten notes in meetings....all for $600, no physical keyboard and only 1.5 lbs to lug around and NOT a laptop plus notebook(s).

This is a good thing.

2. mark_wilkins macrumors member

I'm not sure I'd assume that the pressure sensitivity has a high enough resolution to give you that much control. Maybe!

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I wonder if the capacitive layer is any more precise...

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I remember reading somewhere else on the forums about the reason the styluses are all so "fat". They said that the iPad is set up to detect about a 30px radius (e.g. a finger), which is why they can't seem to make nice "skinny" styluses.

If we have 4x the pixels now, it would be awesome if we could start using more sensitive styluses.

I'm looking forward to the Bluetooth stylus (it's not out yet) that's supposed to give pressure sensitivity. The only other narrow stylus I've seen is that Adonit Jot, and from reviews I've read, it has the potential to scratch your screen, so that's a pass for me.

Can't wait to find out on Friday! :)

5. phishindsn macrumors regular

I know you said not to give apps but have you tried Note Taker HD. I use it still on my original iPad for the exact reason of the fat stylus and drawing control. I am actually really excited to see how much of a change it will be on the new iPad.

I use note taker hd, email it to Evernote from the app. All my notes are synced. Now I plan to begin using the camera to take pictures of whiteboard sessions instead of using my cell phone now that the phone was upgraded too.

6. astral125 macrumors 6502

I doubt the screen on the new iPad is any more precise, but we'll see.

7. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

Any stylus has the potential to scratch your screen- a speck of dirt embedded in the tip is all it takes.

There's no reason to assume that the digitizer has been changed, it has little to do with the screen resolution.