From a Intel p4 3.0ghz to new Imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nyprospect, Aug 23, 2007.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Hi.I'm debating whether i should purchase the new imac or just upgrade my p4 3.0ghz 1gbram 80hdd ati 9600 128mb vc agp.It Pricey.
    I don't need it buuuut I do want it.I could spend a few hundred on memory and video card upgrades.
    I dont do much with my pc .I surf the web,blog and download um stuff.Should i stick to my pc or go with an imac or a mini?.
    Main reason for the switch is OS.Aging xp pro and i hear nightmare stories about vista.Help please.

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, a new iMac will blow your P4 (even after upgrades) out of the water. Plus, Mac OS X is so much better to use than XP/Vista. :) :apple:

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I have almost exactly the same specifications on my PC and even my G5 iMac is much faster. The Intel Macs will blow it out of the water. I'd personally recommend the iMac as I think that represents the best bang for your buck. :)

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, the iMac does offer great bang for your buck. So unless you can't stand to replace your current keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitor- I would go with the iMac over the Mac Mini. :)

5. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for the replys.Wow the imac is like a hot chick tempting me to spend on her and ditch my old girl.Sorry if i offended.But damn is she pretty.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just where are you guys shopping for your computers? :D

7. filmgirl macrumors regular

filmgirl

My PC rig (which is still disassembled on my bathroom floor) is a P4 3.06 HT/800 - whatever the last chip revision was -- and even with 1 GB RAM (dual channel) and a good PCI-e video card (the one area it will still kick a iMac, MB or MBP's tail), the Core 2 Duo is a much, much faster chip.

The difference is kind of staggering, to me anyway, because I thought the later generations P4's were pretty speedy.

If you were going to upgrade your existing system, the best bet would be to upgrade the processor to a C2D (assuming your chipset supports it - most good motherboards and the most common P4 MBs compatible with the 3 Ghz will) and upgrade the RAM. Unless you can get a good deal on a MB/Chip combo - upgrading the video card won't do much for you because you are stuck in AGP and PCI-e is much better.

I think the new iMacs are hot as all get out - but to be honest, it would be cheaper to upgrade your existing machine.

8. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Here's another wacky idea... If you like the monitor that you have, you could consider a MacPro refurb. The 2.0 was going for 1899 last time I saw them up there this week. Yes, you may want to bump the ram from the std 1GB (yikes). And depending on your timing, the next time the MacPro's get a hardware revision (hopefully Sept or Oct), then the refurb prices on the current configs will drop a couple hundred more.

I agree with the other poster - for you, don't bother with a Mac Mini.

9. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

If you're not doing much on your system now, in my opinion, don't get an iMac. Sure you can do a lot of things to it but are you going to use them? If you're surfing the net and email then just stick with your current system. Upgrade it if you so desire. You'd just be wasting your money on the Apple or the upgrades. But since it's not my money, I say get the iMac. A little pricey but very fast, stable, good looking, and functional. And you could still run Windows if you so desire.

10. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Um, never mind my idea of a MacPro. I reread the original post, you don't use your PC very much as is. It doesn't seem like you really need a new machine nor even need to upgrade your existing PC.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I doubt p4 3G/1G RAM and C2D 2.3G/2G RAM with be any different for you if you only do "web, email download".

Blow out of water? maybe when you need it to transcod movies, work with Photoshop etc. but not surfing web or downloading or emailing.

if I were you, I would stick to what I have, maybe update graphic card for latest games. I wouldn't spend another $500 on this thing, It sure sounds quite capable for what you do.