From a old MBP to a new MB?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wixie, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Wixie macrumors newbie

Hello there

I currently have a MacBook Pro 15", 2.4GHz and 2GB memory that I bought eleven months ago. I was going to buy an AppleCare to extend my warranty since I have several problems with my Mac (a little dark stain on screen and several stains, growing up around the keyboard), plus a battery replacement two months after my purchase. Then I thought I should get a new Mac...

What I do with my computer is writing, web basics, watching movies, listening music, amateur photography and spent few hours per week on World of Warcraft. Nothing fancy.

Would it be a good idea to sell my current MBP to a buy one of those new MB (I can't afford another MBP)? Their finishes look better (really disappointed with these on my MBP). Actually, the only thing that's scaring me is the smaller screen size... :/

Thanks for reading and please, excuse my bad english.

2. WVUAppleSeed macrumors newbie

I'm in the Same Boat

I am in the exact same boat as you, except my specs are a bit different on my Pro.

My suggestion is to wait for a few months when the new MacBook Pros and MacBooks end up on Apple's refurbished website. I, and many others that I know, have purchased their Macs for up to 50% off original prices and have not had a single issue. You get the same warranty, same service, and same everything as a new Mac, just in a different box.

If you're looking to save money that's the way to go. If you are looking for the new features as a main concern then go ahead and buy now. You could sell your current Pro for about 1300-1400 and get the new 13" MacBook.

I am a sucker for the 15" screen. I went from a 12" iBook G4 to the 15" MacBook Pro and I have been hooked ever since. Good luck though!

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

You have better English than 95% of Americans. I actually didn't notice anything in your post that made me think English wasn't your first language.

I recently sold my black MacBook for a refurb MacBook Pro. Honestly, I don't know how I lived with that small of a screen. Personally, if I had to go back to that small of a screen I would be disappointed. I don't even do any gaming - I just use it for college and Photoshop.

4. jstanier macrumors regular

jstanier

I'd stick with what you've got. As said before, the reduction in screen size will really annoy you after you've got over how shiny the new MBs are.

5. bradbowl macrumors member

I have the previous generation MBP and now an aluminum MB so I'll chime in with my impressions. The difference in speed from the 2.4 GHz MBP to the 2.0 GHz MB is very minimal for what I use it for (office apps, web, video watching, music, etc). There is no ambient light sensor which doesn't bother me but may be important for you (if so you'll have to pony up for the $1599 version). The new trackpad is awesome. I like it much more than the MBP trackpad. The biggest difference is the screen as noted my previous users. The screen on the MB is considerably worse than on my MBP; both in viewing angle and washed out look. Both laptops have LED screens and are very bright and glossy but you'll notice the difference if you get the MB. Hope this helps.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm not in this position as I have of intention of selling my MBP, given that I'm very happy with it, but overall I agree completely with the sentiments expressed. Rather than a new MB, I'd recommend you go for a refurb MBP, as you'll get the benefit of Apple's warranty, the chance to add Applecare should you wish to do so, a tested and tried machine, a generous discount and the MBP's superb screen.
    Cheers