from a pc desktop to macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thatg, Sep 22, 2009.

1. thatg macrumors member

got to say the transition at first was making me itch a bit. the one thing thats going to take the longest to get used to is having to go all the way up to the top of the screen to the file, edit... options as opposed to just the top of the window. another thing im not used to is each time i click on a different window ive got to click it once to selet the window an then again to go to the specific thing i want to select which i didnt have to do with windows. i actually just upgraded to windows 7 and was quite liking it but decided for the time being it made more sense to have a laptop as im going to be traveling for a while. i've currently got the mac sitting between my 24" dell monitor and keyboard and mouse. i tend to leave my computer on most of the day, im wondering what you guys think about using a macbook as a home desktop? sorry for the long post. i've also got a cheapo usb hub i bought on ebay on the way if you guys know if it will work well for me.
    [​IMG]

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You already own the MacBook, no? If you want to use it on your desk, use it on your desk. It will work there too. (Well, I mean, Mac/desk compatibility can be a bit spotty sometimes, so that really depends on the system requirements of the desk.)

Sorry for the unhelpful reply, but I just don't see the question there.

3. Cboss macrumors 6502

My MacBook is essentially a desktop machine. I only move it a time or two a week. Don't worry about leaving it on all of the time, I'm currently on day 12 of uptime and many people on here will go for months until an update makes them restart. Just sleep it at night if that's easier.

I don't see any reason for the USB hub not to work. Most if not all peripherals should be fine.

4. thatg thread starter macrumors member

hai blue!!!

well im wondering if there is something i can do to become a bit more acclimated to the mac os, perhaps there is a setting i can change that would let me select something in a window the first time i click. also im wondering for the laptop to monitor connection. everytime i want to unplug the laptop and take it to another room when i bring it back ive got to leave the laptop open in order to display it on the monitor again otherwise it turns off. now blue... i know you want to say something awfully clever like "its incredibly difficult to leave a laptop open" but please refrain.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Nope. Just one of the differences between Windows and Mac OS X. To me, it makes more sense to avoid interacting with the application until it is active. I don't want to be clicking random buttons on background windows by accident.

Actually, I was going to say something along the lines of "I feel your pain". Lid-closed mode is nifty in theory, but in practice it's a bit more involved than it should be. However, I don't see a whole lot of benefit to lid-closed mode. You get a bonus 13.3" monitor if you run with the lid up. Just change the main display so the title bar and dock show up on the 24" and use the MacBook for IM conversations or something.

From your comment, I take it that you didn't appreciate my original post? I apologize; I can be less forthright in future.

6. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

if you like windows 7, then install it on your macbook too. i use windows 7 on my macbook more than i use osx.

7. thatg thread starter macrumors member

if you guys dont mind helping me out with this question. i wanted to upgrade the ram on my macbook from 2 to 4gig. its got 2 1gig cards im guessing? its a late 2008 unibody 2.4 model so it has the removable battery. if you guys can help with that, and do macs take a specific type of ram or generic brand?

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Any memory will work, so long as it conforms to the memory requirements of your computer, and does not exceed the listed maximum. (Some models can run with more memory than advertised, but I don't think the late 2008 unibody is one of those.)

9. mac2x macrumors 65816

I use my setup (see sig line) on my desk 95% of the time, and only take the MBP with me a couple of days a week. I have the full Apple USB keyboard (I can't do without a numeric keypad at the desk because it makes working in Finale 2009 sooo much easier) with a USB MM plugged into the keyboard, and the keyboard into the ACD. Great setup, and allows me to easily grab the computer and go when I need to. Not to mention plenty of screen real-estate when working at the desk.

10. thatg thread starter macrumors member

posted a pic of my setup :) cant wait to get the usb hub so i can hide some of these wires, plan to only have the power, display and hub plugged in, right now im switching between all this stuff. i was more worried about killing the battery on the laptop using it as a desktop and leaving it on for a week at a time, but then thought i could just take the battery out and leave it plugged in but then id lose that portability og grab and go and also hate havint to restart everytime to close to laptop after i unplug. hard knock life man...

thanks for the links blue

11. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I have my Macbook set up just like yours as i only occasionally take from the office. My desk's keyboard tray is designed to mimic the long top drawer on a traditional desk in appearance but the front swivels down on hinges and is rather large so I actually keep the macbook in there--keeps all the wires nicely out of sight. Only things left on the desk are the 26" Samsung monitor, A Time Capsule, wireless Apple keyboard and wireless Targus bluetooth mouse.

It's been powered on nearly nonstop since I bought it about a year and a half ago and still get great battey life when I go mobile. I also use it with the lid closed--if I want to take it out of the office, I just unplugged the video cable and go. To go back to the monitor, just close the lid to put it to sleep, reconnect the cables and wake it up with either the bluetooth mouse or keyboard. The docking station I had for my old Dell laptop is the only thing I miss having but this setup only takes a few seconds to disconnect/reconnect and works great.

12. thatg thread starter macrumors member

which 26" samsung do you have and how do you like it? i actually got a 30" dell 3008 and bought the adapter and everything but decided it was overkill so now trying to sell it but want to go a little bigger than my dell 2409