From a resale perspective, Space Grey vs Silver

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macdude2010, Mar 27, 2015.

?

From a resale perspective, which one makes more sense?

1. Space Grey

45 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. Silver

21 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. Gold

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Hello,
    I am trying to decide whether to buy the new Macbook in either Space Grey or silver, I like the way both of them look, so what it will come down to would be which one would be more appealing to resell next year in preparation for generation 2. I'm not talking about wear and tear either, I'm talking about which color would be more desirable to someone buying one next year from me.
    So the Question is, Space Grey or Silver?

2. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

3. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I don't like the keyboard contrast personally, so I narrowed it down between the two colors.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Given the results of the poll here I would say "Space Grey" personally I am looking at "Gold" as I like the contrast of the contrast of the keyboard to the base colour.

Q-6

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Some things to consider though... I suspect that poll reflects the fact that MR readers like new things and are just going with anything different (except gold, of course). Also, you should certainly consider whether the space grey will stand up to wear the same way as we know the silver can.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Many of us wanted another black Mac, and this is the closest thing. Not to mention space gray looks the sleekest. I only get space gray on my iOS devices as it is.

7. newellj macrumors 601

Probably depends in part on how durable the anodizing on the Space Gray model is and what condition it's in when you sell it.

I would expect the two colored versions to be more popular than plain old aluminum (my choice, btw) and I expect their resale value might be a little higher, but only if they don't look worn.

The Space Gray will probably show finish wear worse than a silver or gold one with the same amount of wear - it'll be more apparent against the dark finish.

8. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

The condition is exactly why I am forgoing the wear and tear factor. I think if I can keep a black iPhone 5 in mint condition for a year, then this will be a peice of cake.

9. newellj macrumors 601

Likely true. I'm quite careful with my gear and even my iPhone 5 wasn't mint after a year.

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

It's clear Space Gray and Gold will be more popular simply because everyone who has any Mac laptop has a silver color already. Therefore the two new options will be more popular - in general.

11. tillsbury macrumors 65816

They will this year, sure. Space Grey is the obvious colour because that's the identifier for the machine. But in a couple of years when everyone's got them it might not be so. What happens if all the MBPs go Space Grey then? :)

12. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I wish I wouldn't have voted. I want the gold but voted space Grey for the poll.

13. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

If purely looking for resale value I would get the Gold one.

14. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Exactly! You should have included it in you poll.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

16. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Damn! Can I revote? I voted for space grey but would now vote gold.

17. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

That's the thing, I'm not purely looking for resale value. In my original post I stated that I liked both the space gray and the silver color options, and because I like both, I decided to make my decision on one based on which would be easiest to resell next year.

18. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Laptop isn't even out and you're already thinking about selling it? LOL

But seriously... when you put resale value over the use of the product it somewhat discredits you as a consumer. Why would you care that it'll resell for a few bucks more if it's at the sacrifice of which would bring you the most personal satisfaction when using it for the time you have it?

Imagine if people's #1 buying logic was resale when they bought a car. LOL

19. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Some people like to see their things to get the newest thing.... Maybe he wants to sell the macbook right after the 2nd gen rMB comes out.

As for me, when I buy something expensive, I run it into the ground until it stops working or becomes too much of a pain to use. My macbook is now almost 7 years old, I had the first gen iPod touch for 4 years (when the OS because totally unusable, especially safari), the car I bought 4 years ago new, I intend to keep until it stops working, though it has a good resale value. I guess I'm cheap. If I had more money to spend, I guess I would upgrade my products every year, but I rather spend what money I have on other things.

20. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I had said I liked both, I'm just using this to make my final decision

21. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Actually, A lot of people do strongly consider re-sale value of their car when they purchase it. Smart people do anyways. A MB or BMW is going to hold its resale value way more than a Chevy or a Dodge and many people consider that.

22. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Consider, yes. Make it a primary objective in buying such a daily-use product? No. If you do, your priorities are skewed. You are considering what's more important to someone else vs what's more important to you. You're making a concession on your personal taste in favor of what someone else might like. If your personal enjoyment isn't a factor, why not get a Macbook Pro, the resale will always be higher there. Who cares if it's a boat anchor, the resale value is better. Oh, we're just talking about COLOR, something nobody can possibly even fathom as to how it'll affect the resale value of a product that's not even out.

23. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I'm expecting to sell this rMB when they release a Skylake version. I've never resold before but I think the Skylake upgrade will be very significant. I need a new laptop now and can't wait for Skylake. Skylake is expected to have a significant GPU upgrade compared to Broadwell.

24. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Jim Dalrymple has also weighed in on my question and I think, after switching back and forth, I'm going to go with space grey.

Attached Files:

25. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The keyboard stands out the most on gold. Space Gray makes it look lost in a bed of mud. Silver is neutral.