From a Switcher: How do I deal with the Font Smoothing on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hatchet, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Hatchet macrumors regular

As a heavy windows user, I've grown accustomed to the non-smoothed fonts in windows applications, etc. I am on the computer doing writing and designing 8-10 hours per day.

After switching to Mac, I've been dealing with headaches from my constant squinting to counteract the font smoothing as I generally keep thinking that my vision is blurry (which it isn't).

Is there a way I can help this issue? I really hate to have go back.

I've tried to make the fonts non smooth from size 140 down but then the OS looks terrible. So I'm stuck on what to do.

Thanks. :eek:

2. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Just get used to it. Like changing to a different resolution it might take a few days before you find it normal (and then youll find the old way bad).

When I first started using cleartype in windows I found it weird, the kerning looked wrong and it felt blurry, but after getting used to it I find aliased text to be horrible.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Can also try setting font smoothing style to strong.

4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I suggest adjusting to it. But I also use ClearType smoothing on Windows as well. It looks so much better than normal, non anti-aliased fonts.

5. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

It bugged me for a little while too, as well as going from a 14" 1024x768 screen to a 13" 1280x800 screen. It took me maybe 3-4 weeks to fully adjust, but I got used to it. Now, when I use XP, I can't help but think how jagged the text looks, even on ClearType.

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

System Preferences > Appearance > Font Smoothing (drop down menu) > Off/Light.

:p Have fun. Once you get used to it, move it up a level, until you hit medium (for an lcd).

I had to get used to it too. :eek: