From a Windows PC to a Mac Mini - Video Editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tony Resta, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Tony Resta macrumors newbie

Hello! I've been scouting the internet for some suggestions on what to do with my situation and thought i'd might as well register :)

I'm a video-editor in Italy based mainly on music videos for various artists. I shoot in 720p at 50fps with a DSLR and on my current PC i edit with Sony Vegas 11. I'm constantly having problems (may be software wise) but it's just so slow in general, and every 5-10 minutes i have to save my project and start the program again (i guess that resets the memory usage).

I'm thinking of doing the jump to Apple finally, but nothing too big on budjet, i need a pretty simple advice. I'm interested in the Mac Mini i7 2.3ghz. Would that be a good jump to make my work smoother if i were to use final cut pro? Sure it may not be the best for video editing but believe me Sony Vegas is killing me.

My current system:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    8GB ram ddr2
    3TB HD
    AMD Radeon HD6850 1GB DDR5
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83ghz

Thanks in advance!
    Tony.

p.s. This is an example of what i have produced, nothing to over the top:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LnQK8BC3C4

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I think the software is the problem here or you need to reinstall windows, your machine seems to be fast enough for 720p editing.

3. Tony Resta thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks. But just out of curiosity, would that Mac Mini i7 run FCPX smoothly enough to not get annoying?