From Alienware to Macbook pro retina 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marco.dell, Mar 14, 2015.

1. marco.dell macrumors newbie

Hi all,

this is my first message here (even if i constantly read it).
    As the title say, i just wish to switch from alienware 17 (time to play is always less) to the rmbp 15.
    I'm an analyst/developer so i'll use it for both work and a little bit of gaming (only games i will play are once in a while are: LOL, elder scrolls online, dragon age inquisition and maybe Camelot Unchained when it will be released...).
    I know after the summer Skylake could be released and rmbp 15 could be refreshed, but i just don't like to wait for something...Is Skylake that big improvement over Haswell? Consider i don't care for things like wireless charge, the force touch and so on. I just care for the overall machine power and life.
    Do u think i really should wait or i can just get the rmbp 15 now and be happy working with it?

Thanks

2. zsrhusain macrumors newbie

My advice would be if you need it now then buy it.

If you can wait a few months until the processors are released and then wait for Apple to update the hardware then do so.

I bought my rMBP in Feb of 2013 (Early 2013 model), then the mid and late versions were released. The speed may be just a little bit faster and the battery life may be a little better but still my computer is still good enough for what I do (I am in IT and run a lot of virtual machines).

The only thing that I missed from the updates is the 1 TB SSD. I got Wireless AC by replacing the card by myself.

I don't regret my purchase. However just keep in mind that tech is always evolving and that an updated model will always come out!

3. marco.dell thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the point...an update is always around the corner!
    Well it's not that i need it, because i've my company computer to do my work, but i'm selling my the alienware now! And i would not like to be without a personal computer, so i would prefer to buy it right now. The worst thing is the rise in prices here in italy (as in the whole europe) :(
    The 750M version is 2849 euros now

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

DAI runs fine on the 750M at mostly medium settings at 1650x1050. That's the most demanding game on the list. It's a fine gpu, but it is about 2 generations old. If you can wait, i'd wait.

If gaming is important to you, I'd look closely at the Razer 14" laptop too.

5. marco.dell thread starter macrumors newbie

But razer doesn't sell computers in italy, and from the reviews it seems it runs hot and loud as the previous models.
    I just want the macbook for OSX...maybe i could wait the WWDC to see if apple release a new rmbp 15 with broadwell i7 and maybe a 950M which should is more powerful and cooler than the 750M

6. Derived macrumors regular

Derived

Definitely wait till the summer, Skylake is coming this year for the 15s and it will be a huge jump. The current machines are massively outdated, it would be a real shame to buy old hardware right before it's replaced.

7. marco.dell, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

marco.dell thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i'll wait till the summer and hope my 2014 alienware 17 don't lose more value than it just did.
    And hope skylake will be out for that time :D

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Don't expect skylake this year

But you may well get a Broadwell update a big GPU jump (which sounds more important to you).

9. marco.dell thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes the Broadwell integrated would be for sure more powerful than the haswell one, but i hope for a good dedicated also.
    I just wish a good pair cpu+gpu for both work and a little bit of gaming

10. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Interesting thread because (although I hate Windows) I have been considering switching from my rMBP 15 to Alienware to get a better graphics card and a bigger screen for my photo/video work. If you are into serious gaming, I would keep the Alienware.

11. marco.dell thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the thing is i bought the alienware to play games but i have very little time to play, plus now i'm travelling a lot for work (every week for the next 6 month minimum) and the alienware 17 is not exactly comfortable to carry around.
    So what i thought is switch to mac which is far more portable, use it for my work and for play time...when i'll stop travelling for work i'll use just ps4 when i'll want to play something once in a while.
    That's it :)
    If you want to switch to alienware i can say it's a beast! The screen is enough to play well, the keyboard si comfortable, audio is by far one of the best among the notebooks, chassis is really sturdy! The worst part is the new alienware line have soldered gpu (they made the external graphic thing).

12. shahin90 macrumors regular

I would wait if I were you because you are considering gaming on it. I have heard Skylake will have huge graphic improvements and that's the focus of the next intel chips. If you needed it only for productivity purposes then it wouldn't make much of a difference of course.

13. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info. I'd be buying it for photo/video production. I know they are mostly gaming laptops but awesome GPUs and 4GB dedicated graphic cards are perfect for what I do too.

14. marco.dell thread starter macrumors newbie

just found a really nice deal! Let me know what do you think.
    2020 euros for the rmbp 15 16gb, 512 ssd and 750M (here in europe it starts from 2849!)
    Its a damn nice deal! considering i'll not buy the upcoming new 15" (when will be released) with dGPU if it will start for 2849 euros...