From beta to GM

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MinEderPlayz, Aug 14, 2013.

1. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Hello folks,

I just wanted to ask if you can backup an iOS 7 beta device to restore this backup on the iOS 7 GM?
    Kind regards,
    Tom

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

I don't think it's really recommended, but I don't see why not.

3. Silvereel macrumors 6502

If you're doing a restore, I'm not sure what the problem would be. It just restores your contents and apps, so the system files should all be new, rather than filled with buggy beta leftovers, right?

4. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I hope that's right, 'cause that's what I'm planning to do. I don't want to lose all my data and have to start over.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's always better to just install the gm without restoring a backup. Always!

6. josiahsill macrumors member

josiahsill

This might be a dumb question, but

What's the point of backups then. I mean, I get setting the phone up as new and how that is good. But if it's not good to use backups why have them. I mean I understand why I would have a backup for the rare chance that my phone bugs out on me or something but if you restore from new every time there's an update what's the point of a backup.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

People are talking for the BETAs. Beta is unfinished hardware where features are added, removed, changed. Leaves a high chance of your backup being contaminated by deprecated or altered components and variables.

Don't run BETA on production environment, and this is a non issue.

8. Silvereel macrumors 6502

Just looking at the size of backups, I'm not sure how likely this is to happen. Since backups are so much smaller than the actual size of the files on the device, it may just be a case of telling your device which apps it needs to download, and backing up things like your photos, save files, and documents. Is anything that could be 'contaminated' actually restored?

9. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Currently iOS 7 is in beta. Developers are supposed to use it as a development environment for their applications, while reporting bugs. There is no point in providing backups in this scenario, as you are not supposed to use it as a phone, but as a development platform.

10. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Everything you said is true, of course, but I wonder how many developers can afford to have a dedicated development platform. I'm just starting out learning to code for iOS, and I sure can't.

11. batting1000 macrumors 604

Backups are fine, but you should really be restoring a BETA backup to a GM (which is essentially the public release).

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

You can code for iOS 6, and upgrade to iOS 7 once it gets released. Nothing is forcing you to code with a beta OS in mind, and if you don't have the necessary means to do it - like a development device -, you shouldn't probably be doing it.

13. Cayennr macrumors member

I’m going to do the same and see how it goes. If the phone starts acting weird, I’ll restore it as new.

14. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I don't actually know what gets saved when you make a backup. I would hope it would be stuff like lists of apps and songs to download, game save data, and that sort of thing. I would hope that none of the OS would be saved, and therefore, restoring from a backup wouldn't make any difference as opposed to setting the phone up as new. But, as I say, I don't know.

15. Cayennr macrumors member

Well, yeah, I’m not sure either, but I’ll try anyway. I wouldn’t want to reapply all the settings I have made, install all the apps I have, and I wouldn’t want to lose the data auto-correct has collected over a year. I don’t know for sure, but I think we’ll be okay.

16. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I think so, too. At any rate, I'm with you. There's no way I want to lose all the data I've been accumulating for the past few years. Some of my apps provide backups for the data, but some don't.

17. josiahsill macrumors member

josiahsill

I know ios 7 is beta...I was more asking in general. For instance, if something is going screwy with your device on ios 6, one of the first steps is to do a restore and see if the problem persists. My question is, can something in your backup make your device screwy, if so it renders having backups useless. That was my point.

18. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Don't worry, it's not you. The "beta police" feel the need to tell everybody that iOS 7 is a beta and that anything and everything you do with it is somehow wrong- regardless of what your question actually is.

Regarding backups, they are extremely useful in situations of hardware failure or lost devices. When it comes to software issues, it depends. Sometimes glitches will indeed get stored in your backup, though I don't exactly know the mechanics behind the way backups are created.