From Betas to GM, anything changes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

iOS 5 is the first iOS I'm paying attention to. So I was wondering, does anything significant ever change or gets fixed in iOS from beta feedback, apart from obvious bugs, of course?

Did anything change in iOS 4? I remember that the background for folders and multitasking bar changed, but other than that, nothing else.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Well, the new gestures that are being released with iOS 5 was actually included in a developer build of iOS 4.x.x. I don't remember which build it was.

They ended up removing it before it was released though.

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Chances are quite a lot will change in the first few betas. If I remember correctly in the past, they have added and removed whole APIs and functionality.

By the time it gets to about Beta 3, it should be pretty set in stone for how it will look for the GM. After that they will just release to fix identified bugs.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bugfixes mostly. I believe by they get to the beta stage, the features are frozen and so if nothing is horribly wrong what you see is what you'll get.

5. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Hoping for a major google maps update ala android with voice activation, street view and real time routing....

Maybe surprise in fall announced with the iPhone 4x

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I somehow doubt that would happen, at least from Google's perspective. Call that a "perk" for using their OS.

If anything Apple would release their own turn-by-turn GPS solution.

7. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

With each DP comes a set of changes. After feedback comes back on UI changes and some other small complaints about certain functions, a DP normally gets reworked and then by the time GM hits, we have most of major bugs fixed and a lot of the changes finalized. If there are any added future updates, they are normally hidden ie HD video playback.

8. taylortm macrumors member

Always changes... usually a few "bonus" surprises

I can't (off the top of my head) think of ANY version of iOS or OS X that didn't get at least one major new feature between Beta 1 and GM. I've only been watching back as far as Panther (OS X) and iOS 3.

I would wager that at least one of the "big" rumors about iOS 5 that didn't materialize in this beta will make it into one of the future releases.

Just my $.02 worth.