from blackberry to iPhone - my initial impressions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tekmoe, Jul 14, 2008.

1. tekmoe macrumors 68000

So I convinced my girlfriend to stand in line with me for 3 hours to get an iPhone 3g yesterday at the Apple store...and don't ask me what I had to do to get her to do it... :p

After using this iPhone for the past 24 hours, I've been finding little things here and there that really impress me - and also little things that really irritate me.

First off, I've been using qwerty-keyboard phones for the past 3 years. The on-screen keyboard seems really difficult to get used to, however, every qwerty phone I have ever used always required some practice time to get good at it. I'm slowly getting used to the iphone keyboard.

Next is the email portion. Everyone knows Blackberry is the leader of the pack when it comes to email. After using the iPhone email, I must say they did a decent job with competing...but it still ain't no Blackberry. I don't like how I cannot group all of my emails into one single view. I have to drill down into each account to see my messages. I do, however, really like the full html feature. Very nice feature.

The web browser is fantastic! Best web browser I have ever used...and the 3G totally sweetens the whole experience. Zooming in and out with two fingers is incredibly easy and very intuitive. Haven't really found anything bad that I can say about mobile Safari.

I'm still trying to figure out the easiest way to add a contact into my phone. On my Blackberry, I'd simply type the phone number in, hit menu, and add to address book. On the iPhone, I have to travel to the contacts, hit add, and then type in all of the information. It's those extra few steps when you have to tell someone "wait just a second while I get to my contacts screen to add you into my phone" that irritate me. But it's not a big deal. I can deal with it.

The app store is awesome. Can't wait to see all the new apps that come out in the coming months.

Speaking of apps, I'm a total IM junkie. I LOVE being logged into AIM 24/7. This simply cannot happen on my iphone. The AIM app will log you out after 5 minutes if you go back to the home screen, which does not allow it to run in the background at all times. I had the best IM app available (IMO) for Blackberry called Jivetalk. Apparently Jivetalk is also making an app for the iphone. I'm anxiously but patiently awaiting its arrival. Hopefully this is corrected in the coming months. If my AIM ran 24/7, I would not have to pay the outrageous price for unlimited text messaging because my girlfriend is on AIM 24/7 with my old Blackberry. But until this is fixed, the easiest way for us to communicate is text messaging.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. A few negatives here and there but the positives seem to make up for it. It's good enough to where I decided I'm willing to fork out the $100 a month for the damn thing. Let's just hope they continue to improve on the improvements.

Hope this mini-review might help some potential iPhone switchers.

2. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

The keyboard will take time to get used to but once you do you'll be a faster typer than on a QWERTY keyboard.
    Apple is releasing a service in September that will allow you to receive background notifications that you have an IM, etc. AIM won't be running in the background because Apple wants to avoid this since most people open too many apps and don't close them completely causing your phone to go very slow if you don't go to the process manager. Instead, you will receive notifications that you have new IM's from a server. I'm not exactly sure how it works so if someone else can explain that'd be awesome.

Glad to hear your enjoying it!

3. GNice macrumors 6502

I've had various Blackberrys over the years through my job. I currently have a Blackberry Pearl. There a couple of things that the Blackberry does better, but all things considered it's not even close for me. Now that my IT group is supporting the iPhone I will be ditching my Blackberry.

Not suggesting others will or should reach the same conclusion, but I find (on the whole) the iPhone a much, much better device.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Apple doesn't allow 3rd party apps to run in the background. The solution to your IM comment will be revealed in Sept. when Apple will allow apps to receive push info from 3rd party servers.

5. View macrumors regular

Pretty sure AIM will be one of several apps that takes advantage of the "push" notification. Meaning that it can be on 24/7 and it will notify you just like SMS (red circle with number of new msg's at the right corner of the icon).

6. taibant macrumors member

as for the contact adding the bottom left button on the key pad is a person with a plus sign. use that to add contacts from keypad

7. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Where is this? Not quite sure what you're talking about.

8. tekmoe thread starter macrumors 68000

that solves one problem of mine! thanks so much! :)

9. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I went from a Curve to an iPhone and never looked back. There were some things I liked about the BB, but being mostly a personal user and after using the touch screen of the iPhone, everything else just seems archaic.