From Canada, buying MBA in US...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andrewnewyen, Jun 4, 2008.

1. andrewnewyen macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm going over to Boston for the weekend and have decided to make the switch to Mac. After changing my mind on a weekly basis (Blackbook to MBP to Blackbook to MBA to MBP to MBA.........), I've finally settled on the MBA.

Should my new MBA be somehow defected *knock on wood*, would I be able to bring it in to an AppleStore in Canada for repairs/replacement as per Apple's 14-day policy?

2. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Apple portables have a worldwide warranty. The price difference is only $100 though - you are better off buying it in Canada. If you get stopped at customs, you're going to have to pay Canadian tax and duty on top. Despite the criticism of customs officials, they aren't stupid and their is a good chance you are not going to be able to smuggle this back to Canada tax free.

3. andrewnewyen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Actually when taking into account the student discount and taxes, I save about 266 dollars.

My cousin is bringing it over the border for me. She's been going to school there for 4 years, so I don't think there will be a problem about paying duty fees.

4. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Regardless if she has been there for 4 years, if they find a receipt (which you will need to keep for warranty), they're going to bust her for it. The only way around it is if she is also an American citizen traveling on an American passport.

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

When I went through the border with my Mac Mini, they didn't ask a thing. They just asked how much total value we had in the car. We answered $500, and boom, no checking us, nothing.

6. f1 macrumors 6502

You do not need the receipt for warranty purposes. And yes Canadian Apple Stores will repair your Air under the one year warranty. However, if you take your computer back to Canada and discover that its DOA, even within fourteen days, a canadian apple store will ONLY repair it, or you will have to wait for a replacement unit to be shipped, they will NOT exchange it for a new one in store.