From disk image to physical partition-bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by stevey500, Dec 17, 2015.

1. stevey500, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015

stevey500 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2004
    Huntington, Utah
    I have a .vhd and macrium reflect image backup of a PC I had die on me, it was configured for EFI.

I am wondering if it is at all possible to copy that image over as a separate partition on my OS X main drive of my macbook pro with the goal of retaining OS X and my old computer's windows partitions bootable.

I understand that I could simply shrink my OS/x partition and then run Macrium Reflect and copy those windows partitions (system/boot and main C root partition) into the empty unallocated space but, will it work? I am unsure of how apple's EFI boot will interpret the windows System partition and my C: partition without the System partition being at the beginning of the drive.

How exactly should I go about this? Thanks.
  2. doynton macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2014
    Easiest way would be to install Windows with Bootcamp as this will make the partitions for you. Then boot from Macrium recovery USB and restore C drive (and recovery partition if you have it/want it).

Alternatively you can make the partitions manually using gdisk (you have EFI already so you need MSR and C and optionally recovery partition). Copy /EFI/Microsoft directory from EFI backup to the Mac EFI partition, restore C partition then boot from Windows installation media, go to command line and run bcdboot C:\Windows.

Windows will install drivers on first boot then you'll have to install bootcamp drivers. It will also be unactivated so you'll need to phone MS (type slui 4 from Windows command prompt and follow the wizard).