[From Engadget] Archos unleashes five (five!) new Android Froyo tablets ...

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by GoCubsGo, Aug 31, 2010.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am very very intrigued!
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/archos-unleashes-five-five-new-android-froyo-tablets-we-go-h/

[​IMG]

This is what I'd be most interested in:
    Here's hoping I'm not duplicating threads.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

low actual battery life due to rampant multi-tasking
    the UI would be laggy, like other Android devices
    Android tablets do not have access to Android market place

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Battery life is fine on my phone with rampant and real multitasking

No UI problems either. Android 2.1 was a bit laggy, but Froyo made major improvements on that, and I have no lag on my phone since upgrading to Froyo.

I imagine Google will be changing that when tablets hit the market.

4. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is obvious, at least to me.

5. remmy macrumors 6502a

I'm quite interested in them, especially the 32 or 43. What I really like is being able to use a bluetooth tether to my 3G phone so that they can use the internet -something I would find very useful, and they are so much cheaper than the ipod touch.

The thing that is holding me back is the touch screen and the reviews of they're previous effort

6. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; Dell Streak Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

The Galaxy tab has me more interested than Archos's latest offerings but they could prove to be a nice little Android tablets.

The full on Google apps included in the galaxy tab are a huge boon for the device.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

BS
    My Droid X with full multitasking and humongous screen has very good battery life. This argument is often used by fanboys trying to slam any non iOS platform. The fact remains that others are doing multitasking better then apple.

Not with froyo, performance is extremely fast
    That occurs when the manufacturer does not license the market place. That occurs when when the company just takes the open source OS and uses it. The downside is that the consumers lose out because they come to expect the market place.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I want it.....or something like it.

There are so many Android options coming out. It's great!

9. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-gb; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

@maflynn.

There may be more to Archoss not providing the Market as I believe the Archos tablets are missing a compass which is one of the hardware requirements for a device to have Android Market.

My A5IT has it installed via a simple apk installation so hopefully the clever people into android hacking will get it on the newer android tablets too.