From Entourage to Mail (exchange question)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brsboarder, Aug 27, 2009.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

So,
    I used entourage, with an exchange server, and it worked great, however, mail doesn't ask for the same pieces of info to setup an exchange account. I'm wondering if someone can help.

On entourage, I used my username, pw, domain, exchange server, ldap, and public folders server. This worked to allow me to get contacts, sync perfectly etc.

However, when I try to enter my username, pw, and put the incoming/outgoing server from the 1 exchange sever in entourage, I get an error that says it can't connect to the server. Is there a way to find out how to find where the info is that I need from entourage? My school isn't supporting mail, only entourage.

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

SL will bring full exchange support. Which, btw, is tomorrow.

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Does the Exchange Server meet the minimum requirements as set by Apple?

4. danny_w macrumors 601

No, SL brings partial Exchange support (but probably what most people really need). And only if you are using Exchange Server 2007.

5. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do those answers have to do with my question. I received my snow leopard, installed it, and the predicament I have is that the settings that "Mail" asks for are not the same ones that I have from entourage. So, any ideas?

6. danny_w macrumors 601

Sorry for the confusion. For one thing I didn't realize that you were talking about mail.app on SL, which does have some Exchange support built-in. I have not used that version yet on Exchange so I can't help you. The previous version did not support Exchange and required the OWA (Outlook Web Access) settings for IMAP setup, so they would not be the same as Outlook's or Entourage's settings to an Exchange server.

7. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, if someone can figure it out, I would love it. On entourage, I type in my email and pw and it automatically gets the settings. Mail doesn't get the settings and I have no clue what settings it needs because they ask for different things than entourage.

Ok...Apparently we are still on 2003 exchange. Guess I'm screwed until a fix is found.

8. Squeak825 macrumors regular

No fix to be created. Mail.app depends on Exchange Web Services to work, and you have to be on Exchange 2007 for that.

Best advice -- get your admins to migrate to 2007.

9. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

10. Squeak825 macrumors regular

No, native Exchange 2003 support is not there.

If you want to use Mail.app with 2003, you have to use LDAP.

11. danny_w macrumors 601

Easier said than done. I expect that the vast majority of businesses are still on Exchange Server 2003 and have no reason to change.

12. Squeak825 macrumors regular

Oh, I know. My work refuses to migrate to 2007, or turn on IMAP, so I am stuck with Entourage.

But, what I was trying to say was that is really the only option.

13. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

We must work for the same company. :)

They should have included OWS support in Snow Leopard. That's how I have to connect with Entourage now.