Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Now that Sprint has the iPhone I was finally able to make the switch from my EVO 4G. Here are some first impressions after my first day with my shiny new iPhone 4S.

When I first took the iPhone out of the box I was struck with how heavy and solid it felt I my hand. I say heavy but I mean that in a good way. It's not too heavy, it just feels like a very solid and well made device. I can't find a single imperfection. It is obviously built to exacting specifications.

One thing I was concerned about was the screen size. The EVO has a very nice 4.3" screen so it is a decent difference in size. With that said, I must admit that it doesn't feel like there's much difference at all. Possibly due to the higher resolution?

I will miss two features. I love the Swype keyboard. I got very used to it and used it pretty much exclusively. I know I can send texts via Siri but that will take some getting used to. The other thing I'll miss is Google Navigation. I know there are many apps I can buy and even some free options but for those that never used it, it really is an excellent GPS navigator that also happens to be free.

I never, or more accurately, rarely used widgets on my EVO but I will say it was nice to have the option. The only one I used was time/weather. I especially liked the time because it was large enough that I didn't need my glasses to see it.

Performance is in one word, incredible! I have never seen performance as smooth and silky as the iPhone 4S. No matter what I throw at it, it performs flawlessly. Surfing the web while on 3G is much faster than with my EVO. On WiFi its almost as fast as my MacBook. Really impressive.

Text messaging is pretty much the same. I don't have any friends that have iPhones so I can't really comment on iMessage in terms of communication with other iMessage users.

Voice calls are crystal clear. It got to the point with my EVO that I would reach for the house phone if I had to make a call because it always sounded a bit distorted. If the person on the other end was using speakerphone it was very difficult to understand them. I spoke to my daughter for about 15 minutes earlier today and it was crystal clear. I think I'll be reaching for the iPhone first now.

I haven't tried Siri too much yet but I've had some mixed results. Siri didn't understand what I was asking for more than I had expected. It's possible I need to get used to holding the phone at the right distance and speak more clearly but I did expect a bit better. This morning however, Siri understood me perfectly when I asked for temp, to set a reminder and to search for a website. Like I said, I may just have to be more consistent with how close I hold the phone and how loudly I speak.

That's about it for now. All in all I am thrilled with my purchase. I got the 32 GB white version and am very happy with it. Looking forward to really put it through its paces today.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
The other thing I'll miss is Google Navigation. I know there are many apps I can buy and even some free options but for those that never used it, it really is an excellent GPS navigator that also happens to be free.
That's really the one thing Apple is missing, and I agree with. They really need a nice Navigation app, I don't know why they don't at least partner with say Tom Tom and have it built in. "Maps" is seriously lacking. Majority of vehicles have Nav options now, but it's nice to have when traveling in a rental car etc, and using the phone.

Google Nav is pry the best feature integrated on Droids.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Agreed. The better nav apps are very expensive. If I was to spend $50 on an app I think I would consider buying a dedicated navigator device. Especially now that Siri is integrated into the phone a built-in nav app makes a lot of sense.

i3iMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Agreed. The better nav apps are very expensive. If I was to spend $50 on an app I think I would consider buying a dedicated navigator device. Especially now that Siri is integrated into the phone a built-in nav app makes a lot of sense.

Does't this have a built in navigation? Last night I tested it and told Siri I wanted to go to the nearest gas station, a list of gas stations came up, I chose the nearest to me and a map opened up showing my location on a map in real time. Maybe I was dreaming. Never mind. It's google maps that automatically came up :)

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

^That's basically an interactive Google Maps print out. What they're talking about is turn-by-turn directions, where a voice tells you "Turn left on Elm in 300 feet" and provides a 3D view of the road ahead.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Does't this have a built in navigation? Last night I tested it and told Siri I wanted to go to the nearest gas station, a list of gas stations came up, I chose the nearest to me and a map opened up showing my location on a map in real time. Maybe I was dreaming. Never mind. It's google maps that automatically came up :)
Uhhh thats normal maps, nothing like Google Maps on the Droids. Google Maps Nav is a true navigation system, 3D views, options, turn by turn, heck it even shows your destination right at the end from when they take their pic of the streets. That was helpful last year when we were middle of no where in NC at 2am after driving 12 hours lol, couldn't see the lil hotel name we were picking friends up at b/f of snow and haze, but the G Maps showed the picture and we knew it was the right one.

It's basically like having a cars navigational system on your phone. Would you rather your car have a true navigation system, or have "maps" for a system? ;) .

I'm really not sure why Apple doesn't have a nice Nav app, they could at least partner with a company and have an integrated Nav system. Otherwise iPhone users have to spend a nice chunk of $ for the various apps. Would be awesome if for the next iPhone they had an integrated Tom Tom system :D

Last edited:

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Just downloaded Waze and Telenav. Both free but I know with telenav you have to pay if you want voice etc, so I'll try to compare against Google GPS. Though I don't think either will be as good as Google Maps integration on the Droids. Telenav systems I'm already familiar with and not a fan of, they don't seem to be accurate as others. New Explorers have a Telenav system and a lot of times it shows you off course or wrong directions (i.e. turn right and destination will be on your left... when it's really turn right and go 10 blocks and turn left and destination is on your left lol).

Hope Apple integrates a true GPS Nav system on the next iPhone but they pry won't

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.