from FCP to Adobe suite, AP AE, what format should videos now be?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Ptit, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Ptit macrumors regular

hi

I really have to switch from FCP and FCP x becuase i can not use FCP on the same boot volume as Pro Tools due to lack of support by apple with incompatibility with 3rd party audio plugins while fcpx just, does not CUT it at all for me., whatever!

anyway,

I looked around and got mixed info on the formats with Premiere and After effects, coming from FCP, formatting with MPEG streamclip at ProRes422 LT, i just want to set up a decent workflow here so please let me know if its necessary,

thanks

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

After Effects and Premeire will take the same set of codecs as Final Cut Pro. It even has support for Apple's ProRes codec, as it's become an industry leading codec. You don't have to transcode your material to move between the programs, you just need to basically start your editing from scratch.

3. Ptit thread starter macrumors regular

so bringing any format, size, dimension makes no real difference on its performance?

if thats true its way better then FCP, render hell

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Well of course certain codecs will work better than others for editing. I'm just saying it's the same situation as it was with Final Cut. There aren't any codecs I know of that Final Cut reads that Premeire will not read.

5. Ptit thread starter macrumors regular

but to edit in FCP its best to do it in Apple ProRes 422, at least it works for me and everyone else who uses MPEG Streamclip to convert all their clips, its why i am asking if one format is necessary

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have been dabbling with the premiere trial this week and exported an XML of a project I started in FCP in ProRes422.

In premiere it still needed render to play back smoothly but now I can actually render with my 8 core Mac Pro (first time since 2009!) it's not so bad.

7. Ptit thread starter macrumors regular

im using the imac 27" i7 here with 12GBs and at the very moment im very impressed by the way i can adjust files in photoshop, illistrator and after effects while inside premiere, i added a greenscreen to one clip and watched it change after switching to premiere before my eyes, seems like a nicer work flow so far.

Does Premiere seem faster then FCP on your 8 core?

8. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

Right, you do not need to transcode to ProRes or any intermediate codec to edit with Premiere Pro. Just start editing!