From G5 to Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by transformer2007, Oct 30, 2007.

1. transformer2007 macrumors newbie

I'm still on a G5 with 512 memory. And recently it's having a lot of problems running Adobe and Macromedia. Applications are running very slow and shut down for no reason. Would updating the memory help? Or should I give up and move onto a Pro?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Damn - no way should you even try to run Photoshop or the like in 512 mb RAM. 1gb is bare minimum and 2gb would be a reasonable compromise. If you're working with large files or running a recent version of the Adobe suite, I'd suggest 4Gb as being more appropriate.

Yes, a MacPro (or even an iMac) is likely to be faster than an early-ish G5, but giving some more RAM would make a massive difference - stopping the G5 from thrashing the swap file every time you try to do something in Adobe CS.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What? I've been using my PowerBook with it's 1.5ghz G4 and 512mb ram for Photoshop, Final Cut etc all throughout university. External drive and monitor for when I'm at home and it all works.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yes, but how well? :)

Check your Activity Monitor for Page Outs... if you're running both at the same time, chances are your PowerBook is starving for RAM!

5. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Buy a new MacPro when they are released November 13th. All 8-Core line up coming. Woo!

6. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

It might work, as per the OP, but it's gonna work like crap. Seriously, it'll be paging out to the swap file continuously.

1gb is minimum for sensible performance with CS2 or later

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Your G5 is a very capable machine. Do yourself a favor and buy at least 2 gigs of RAM. You'll see an amazing difference.

8. Mundy macrumors regular

RAM is the ultimate performance upgrade. Too little RAM and your OS starts paging data to your hard drive, which is the slowest component in your computer.

In this case, more megahertz is not necessarily the answer. Try RAM first.

9. transformer2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess should try upgrading the RAM then. I was hoping that I wouldn't need to trash my G5 since I don't have any budget for a Pro at the moment.

Most of the problems occur when I'm using Dreamweaver. Unlike Adobe, it shouldn't be taking up that much RAM ... should it? Funny I don't seem to have any problems with CS2.

Would I encounter more (non-RAM related) problems if I upgrade to CS3? Why do I get the impression that G5 is old school now ...?

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It isn't. You just need to give it RAM. I have a dual-core 2.0 G5 and it rocks. It tears through Leopard. Of course, I also have 5 gigs of RAM. ;)

And yes, upgrade to CS3 without more RAM and you won't be happy. Trust us, all you need is RAM.

11. je1ani macrumors 6502

Yeah G5s are great machines but around here they seemed to be despised :(

12. PMR macrumors 6502

PMR

G5 cpus are awesome even nowadays. Intel only beat the crap out of them in video encoding. Keep it and throw in 2Gb of ram.

As for shutting down...stopping is a thing, shutting down may be any kind of flaw... Upgrade the ram, if it doesn't work with the shutting try at least a fresh full install of the OS

13. transformer2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

What about selling my G5 and get a MacBook? I've been thinking of switching to something portable. But was afraid that it couldn't handle the CS3 work load. Or am I better off keeping the G5 ... since it probably won't sell for much anyway ...?

14. Jdot macrumors member

depends on the g5 but considering it only has 512 ram im guessing you have a single processor version 1.6 or 1.8 in which case you could get around 600-700 bucks for it

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Put some RAM in your G5. Please. ;) I don't know that you would really be that much happier with the MacBook. I know I wouldn't- not enough expansion possibilities. You can get more RAM in the G5 than you could the MacBook.

16. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Yet another call for RAM. RAM is super cheap for the G5 right now; I just put another 2gb in mine for under $100 (2X1gb sticks). I run CS2 constantly and it still flies. Get that thing up to at LEAST 2gb, 4gb isn't a bad idea...