From HDV to Divx... why am I losing my quality.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by djhspawn, Sep 28, 2007.

1. djhspawn macrumors member

OK, I have some edited footage in FCP5HD that is HDV. I would like to get it to stage6.com and keep the quality. I have done this before with OK results http://stage6.divx.com/user/djhSPAWN/video/1502797/Our-Baja-500-(rough-cut) . But I dont beleive that is still in HD. Does anyone have an idea on what I should convert to from FCP in order to keep the quality when going into divx?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

HD just refers to the resolution of the video. It has nothing to do with quality as such.

The site you linked is down for maintainance at the moment so I can't check it but if it is anything like YouTube then it won't support HD video.

In order to keep the quality you will just need to play around with the export settings when you convert your video to DivX format until you get an output that looks acceptable.

3. -DH macrumors 65816

You're forgetting that you're starting with a very highly compressed format (HDV) and then REALLY stomping on it even more to get it in an even more highly compressed format (DiVix). You cannot realistically expect to keep the same quality.

-DH

4. djhspawn thread starter macrumors member

stage 6 is nothing like youtube.... You can definatly see quality in the videos that are hosted there...

So, what are the suggestions for exporting out of FCP? Everyones help is appreciated.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'm not sure I never use DivX myself. I guess the thing to do is make a very short (10 second or so) clip of your video and just play around with the export settings until you get something that you like.