Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hobbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2005
Hello everyone,

I appologise if my question has been asked before..i couldn't find it in the forum.

I'm thinking of selling my iBook to buy the new more powerful MacBook...is there anything i need to be aware of before i make this move? Will i be able to install my current G4-processor programmes (such as Microsoft Office for Mac) on the MacBook?

Your advice is most appreciated..Thank you.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
You will be using G4 apps on an emulation layer called Rosetta. It will run your apps slower, although many (including Office) run fine. Most apps are working their way to become a Universal Binary, where they will be able to run at native speeds on Intel.

LINK: http://www.apple.com/universal/

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You can run PPC apps from your G4, but not anything that needs Classic. You will want to add more RAM to the MB to improve Rosetta (the PPC emulator) performance.

B

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
yes, some rosetta apps like microsoft office will run slower than they would if they were a UB...but they may run faster than your current ibook! some have argued that on a dual 2.0 intel mac (like the imac), rosetta is comparable to a 1.33 G4...i don't know if that's true or not, but it's close. office on my intel imac is just as fast, if not faster, than on my ibook 1GHz...

Hobbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2005
Thanks for the replies.

one more question, does anyone know if the Macbook has heat problems like the macbook pro?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Hobbit said:
Thanks for the replies.

one more question, does anyone know if the Macbook has heat problems like the macbook pro?

There seems to be some reports of it running warmly, but not to the degree of the MacBook Pro. But truthfully, any laptop is going to run warm at times- my iBook G4 sure does. :)

macanudo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Just to let you know, the firmware update to the MBP has significantly decreased the heat of the unit. Althought it still gets hot when doing processing-intensive tasks, it doesn't get nearly as hot as before installing the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.