Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prism

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
Recently got the Air to replace my iPad4 which I sold a couple of weeks back. The experience is night and day and there are a significant amount of differences both in the exterior and the interior.
Outside, it is the weight and thickness that really struck me. Wow! The other aspect is the speakers that are IMHO significantly better (and you get stereo as a bonus). As for the screen, if it is confirmed to be IGZO, that is fantastic news! I noticed less reflection and the color reproduction also seems to be more accurate.
Inside, it is the A7 chip, that at first doesn't seem to be that different of an experience compared to the A6 in the iPad 6, especially with the incredibly badly optimized ios7. But in reality I just think that this is a sleeping beast. It was when I launched the Myst app that the huge difference became clear. I didn't get any of the annoying stuttering that plagued the iPad 4, especially when panning through the scenes!
The other big difference I immediately noticed is heat dissipation. On the ipad4, just cranking up the brightness produced heat, especially on the left edge. Non of that on the Air! Same goes for CPU/GPU intensive apps. The Air just runs much cooler.
Finally, power consumption and battery charging experience are also significantly better on the Air. This thing runs not only faster but actually consumes less power. Charging times are also almost half of what they were on the iPad 4. No longer having to wait half a day to charge.
I must say that I am a very happy camper right now. If there is one small gripe, it is that Apple may have been stingy with RAM. Only time will tell if this is the case, considering that ios7 still needs a lot of ironing out (it was clearly half baked when released).

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
I have the 4 and I'm trying to convince myself that I need to upgrade to the Air...this helps.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
As for the screen, if it is confirmed to be IGZO, that is fantastic news!

And if not, your experience will be identical.

IGZO is a buzzword that laypeople have latched onto for no other reason than it was not present in previous iPads, but was touted by tech blogs as the next big thing. If it is in the Air, clearly Apple didn't even think enough of it to mention it as a new feature.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
100% agree... Hardware wise the 4 and Air are nght and day.

I am extremely pleased I upgraded as well. :D

prism

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
And if not, your experience will be identical.

IGZO is a buzzword that laypeople have latched onto for no other reason than it was not present in previous iPads, but was touted by tech blogs as the next big thing. If it is in the Air, clearly Apple didn't even think enough of it to mention it as a new feature.

They didnt mention it when they doubled ram from the ipad 2 to the 3 either. There are many technological features that they dont mention. It IS a big deal as it would explain how the power consumption improved substantially!

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Mark me down as another pleased upgrade from the 4th Gen to the Air. Much more pleasing device to hold and use, and processor speed is noticeable. It's not night-and-day difference, but it's clearly snappier on opening and navigating a number of apps.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
I agree with everything said here so far regarding the upgrade from 4 to 5. It's a much more refined iPad and I like nearly everything that's been changed.

Something I noticed right off the bat...not only is it more comfortable to hold, it's easier to pick up off a table. It seems less likely to slip out of my hand when I pick it up, like a paperback compared to a hard cover book. At first it didn't seem that much lighter, but after using it for a while then picking up the old iPad 4...what a brick it was!

It's snappy! I'm not a power user so RAM requirements in a tablet mean nothing to me. It operates like a dream.

The screen looks identical to the old model and I can scarcely notice its "hollowness" or "cheap feeling" others have complained about. If there's any light leak or discoloration, I'll never notice. It looks great!

I was conflicted at first over the narrow bezels but they do make thumb typing much easier. I nearly always use my iPad in portrait position.

The stereo speakers sound better than the single speaker in the 4 but there's some vibration of the iPad itself from the speakers. Hmm.

My complaints with the iPad 4 (my first iPad) were that it was heavier and slipperier than it should have been and the sharp edges dug into my hands after holding it for a while. Apple has addressed those issues, though I'd still like them to smooth the edges around the front side a bit more.

I'm glad I upgraded.

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Good post, the only reason I've returned iPad Air was due to puny 1GB of RAM.
64 Bit processing is nice, but it also requires more resources and unfortunately Air doesn't compensate for that. What a shame, will wait for Air Pro or something, with at least 2GB of RAM till next year.
Btw; Before anyone says "1GB is enough", it isn't in music production scenario when you run 3 or more apps at the same time with Apple IAA and AudioBus...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Recently got the Air to replace my iPad4 which I sold a couple of weeks back. The experience is night and day and there are a significant amount of differences both in the exterior and the interior.
Outside, it is the weight and thickness that really struck me. Wow! The other aspect is the speakers that are IMHO significantly better (and you get stereo as a bonus). As for the screen, if it is confirmed to be IGZO, that is fantastic news! I noticed less reflection and the color reproduction also seems to be more accurate.
Inside, it is the A7 chip, that at first doesn't seem to be that different of an experience compared to the A6 in the iPad 6, especially with the incredibly badly optimized ios7. But in reality I just think that this is a sleeping beast. It was when I launched the Myst app that the huge difference became clear. I didn't get any of the annoying stuttering that plagued the iPad 4, especially when panning through the scenes!
The other big difference I immediately noticed is heat dissipation. On the ipad4, just cranking up the brightness produced heat, especially on the left edge. Non of that on the Air! Same goes for CPU/GPU intensive apps. The Air just runs much cooler.
Finally, power consumption and battery charging experience are also significantly better on the Air. This thing runs not only faster but actually consumes less power. Charging times are also almost half of what they were on the iPad 4. No longer having to wait half a day to charge.
I must say that I am a very happy camper right now. If there is one small gripe, it is that Apple may have been stingy with RAM. Only time will tell if this is the case, considering that ios7 still needs a lot of ironing out (it was clearly half baked when released).
Picked up the iPad 4 once after playing with the iPad Air for several days, darn that thing is like a brick! The lightweight actually "carries" over to the software side, everything is smooth and fast.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
64 Bit processing is nice, but it also requires more resources and unfortunately Air doesn't compensate for that. What a shame, will wait for Air Pro or something, with at least 2GB of RAM till next year.
Btw; Before anyone says "1GB is enough", it isn't in music production scenario when you run 3 or more apps at the same time with Apple IAA and AudioBus...

Your very right. I'm waiting too. 1Gb of RAM and iOS7 was eating 750Mb of it. With the iPad 2 having a stripped down version as well as it having a 32bit kernel rather than 64, the iPad 2 has around the same amount of free Ram as the Air. And the whole "free ram is wasted ram" is a load of horse poop! If we have that little ram just while running the OS, what about having games or pro apps open, what about iOS 8?!? 1Gb was stupid. With the whole 64bit apps take as much as 30% more ram resources, that means we have 30% less RAM once the OS is running comapired to the iPad 4.

What a stupid idea 64bit was. The increase in registers was meh, but the increased footprint done the opposite of what 64bit was meant to do; increase the lifespan of the device before it is unsupported.

Well, here's hopping for an iPad Pro in March or June :)

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
I also replaced my 4 with the Air and could not be more happy. I agree with everything you say plus even the keyboard is instant and I have not seen even the slightest delay.

Air is great:p

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Totally agree with your post. My iPad 4 feels ancient and like a brick now compared to my iPad Air. Definitely a worthy upgrade in all counts. Amazing how fast technology changes. Apple hit a home run with this design!

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

Have you tried this scenario? Because I have, and the iPad Air is miles above the previous gens, I can run several intensive music apps simultaneously without a hitch.

But don't take my word for it, listen to one of the top iOS music app developers from twitter...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 57
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.