Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Been thinking about upgrading from the X to the iphone 11 as the signal strength has been lacking on the Iphone X in some areas of the province (Alberta).

on the Telus website, LTE coverage is available where I go on the weekends to golf (4G LTE advance). However, at best, I only get 1 bar on LTE and it's only 5/10 minutes away from a small city with the iphone x.

Will the Iphone 11 cell bands and Gigabit-class LTE with 2x2 MIMO and LAA improve the signal strength? or will it be the same as the iphone X.

Note, Telus doesn't have 5G yet but am tempted w/ the S20. However, prefer to stick w/ the Iphone due to fact that I have the Apple watch.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Its TELUS. I’m with them too and their signal is relatively weak. I’m in Manitoba and see weak performance unless I’m in a spot with full bars. I do go East of town regularly and see only 1 bar, which is an improvement over what I had before. I honestly don’t know why I stick with them, other than they don’t give me a hard time, and their competitors are priced the same.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Its TELUS. I’m with them too and their signal is relatively weak. I’m in Manitoba and see weak performance unless I’m in a spot with full bars. I do go East of town regularly and see only 1 bar, which is an improvement over what I had before. I honestly don’t know why I stick with them, other than they don’t give me a hard time, and their competitors are priced the same.

I might upgrade anyways as the newer chip should perform better than the one in the Iphone X. Don't bother with Rogers though as I had even worse signal strength with them.

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Been thinking about upgrading from the X to the iphone 11 as the signal strength has been lacking on the Iphone X in some areas of the province (Alberta).

on the Telus website, LTE coverage is available where I go on the weekends to golf (4G LTE advance). However, at best, I only get 1 bar on LTE and it's only 5/10 minutes away from a small city with the iphone x.

Will the Iphone 11 cell bands and Gigabit-class LTE with 2x2 MIMO and LAA improve the signal strength? or will it be the same as the iphone X.

Note, Telus doesn't have 5G yet but am tempted w/ the S20. However, prefer to stick w/ the Iphone due to fact that I have the Apple watch.

Does the phone work with 1 bar of LTE? Keep in mind the bars shouldn't be used to determine signal strength/performance. You could buy the iPhone 11 and have the exact same 1 bar of LTE and get the exact same performance as your X. The only way to know for sure is to find someone with an 11 on Telus and bring them to the same spot to see if the performance improves over your X.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Does the phone work with 1 bar of LTE? Keep in mind the bars shouldn't be used to determine signal strength/performance. You could buy the iPhone 11 and have the exact same 1 bar of LTE and get the exact same performance as your X. The only way to know for sure is to find someone with an 11 on Telus and bring them to the same spot to see if the performance improves over your X.

Data/surfing the net is very slow and voice calls are almost pointless as the calls breaks up big time.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
might upgrade anyways as the newer chip should perform better than the one in the Iphone X. Don't bother with Rogers though as I had even worse signal strength with them.

stay away from the 11 series, they use crappy intel modems. Wait for the 12 series, they’ll all be using qualcomm modems.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: motulist

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
May look at the S20 actually now.

A heads up if you haven’t used android before you might not like it, especially Samsung phones.

Lot of lag, software isn’t nowhere near as polished and smooth as iOS, apps look terrible compared to iOS, in my experience everything just works better on iOS.

Had a note 10 plus recently, got rid of it after a week, went back to my xs max.

Thought I’d give android another go after having a s4 back in the days, not much has changed unfortunately, still a long way off iOS.

Reactions: boswald

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I don’t know.. I had some connectivity issues when I got my xsm, but those were corrected in an update a couple of months ago.

Reactions: Wreckus

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
stay away from the 11 series, they use crappy intel modems. Wait for the 12 series, they’ll all be using qualcomm modems.

In what way will that improve things? I don’t really “get” all the internal stuff, so I’m legitimately curious. I have awful signal where I live - the ATT people can’t even really pick up good signal with their equipment when they’re here. Is having a better modem really gonna make a difference for someone like that?

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
In what way will that improve things? I don’t really “get” all the internal stuff, so I’m legitimately curious. I have awful signal where I live - the ATT people can’t even really pick up good signal with their equipment when they’re here. Is having a better modem really gonna make a difference for someone like that?

No. I'm pretty sure they fixed that bug, at least over here they did. Just need to update the phone. But your issue is location in relation to the nearest tower I am assuming?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
No. I'm pretty sure they fixed that bug, at least over here they did. Just need to update the phone. But your issue is location in relation to the nearest tower I am assuming?

Yeah I think so. It seems we are about dead center of two towers, and not close enough to either to get decent signal. Switching providers won’t really help either, or it would’ve been done already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.