From Lion back to Snow leopard

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by GuillaumeB, Oct 24, 2011.

1. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

hello,

have many of you decided to revert back to snow leopard after upgrading to Lion. i find my system to be super slow even since i upgraded. i did not do a fresh install though so does a fresh install of Lion, without previously installing Snow Leopard work fine ? If so, how can i get a disk image of Lion without -having to buy that USB key (already bought through the app store)

Also does a is a fresh Lion install slow er that snow leopard ?

I'm on a macbook pro 2.5 GHz with 4 gb of RAM

2. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I just did yesterday and got my system speed back and it also got rid of all the bugs and annoyances of Lion. My computer is back where it was before Lion: fast, responsive, stable, allowing me to be productive, etc. With Lion it was a disaster, specially with the black screen of death bug.

A word of caution, it seems that in Lion's Mail changes the structure of the email's mailboxes or something of the sort so that they will not import to Snow Leopard's Mail if you decide to downgrade. Another unwelcome change Apple made in Lion and about which nobody was told.

First time I decide to downgrade the OS on my computer, Apple dropped the ball on this one.

3. tom5304 macrumors regular

I've been back and forth from Lion to Snow Leopard three times now. It's the gray (or black) screen of death that finally has me back with Snow Leopard.

With Lion I could go several days without a kernel panic, and then I'd get them four or five times a day, complete with the black screen of death. Hard re-booting SUCKS when time is important.

This time I reverted to 10.6, and I'm not even going to do a software update to 10.6.8. I remember that my iMac was doing fine up until about 10.6.5, and then each update just made things a little buggier.

The regular 10.6 is very quick and snappy for me, and it does everything I need. All I really want out of my computer is a browser, a few simple apps, and an easy file system. OSX 10.6 does that for me.

I've decided I don't need Lion because I really don't need iCloud. Google handles my email and contacts just fine.

Apple, you've made me seriously consider Windows 7 when it comes time to upgrade from my mid-2007 iMac. Not that Windows 7 is any better than OSX Lion, but as far as I can tell, it's probably not much worse. And at half the price for a new low-end PC, I really will give a Windows box a serious look.

Thanks, Lion...:mad:

4. LowMach macrumors member

Uhm yes you should check out win 7. It's rock solid and fast! I think Sl, ubuntu, and win7 are all fantastic! it's a good time for os's!

I was issued a recent i7 mbp with lion and was shocked how slow it was compared to my personal c2d mbp and mini Sl machines. I asked if I could downgrade and was asked not too so I could support lion. I upgraded ram to 8gb's and now am happy with the production i get out of lion. I have ubuntu and win7 running as virtual machines at most times and the machine would crawl before upgrade. Now it runs fast! Please note my c2d Sl machine runs ubuntu and win7 with 4gb's with no issues. Lion is a pig! I am embarresed to say I have 8gb's in a laptop but heck it was only 49$ and it was night and day differene for my experience.

I have not experienced the black screen u guys mentioned. If I did more then once a week I would be aurguing for a downgrade or just boot to windows and using 10.6.8 and ubuntu in vm workstation.

5. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

I own 3 different Macs, my MBA works fine as it came with Lion but my MPro and MBP which came with SL didn't pan out so well. I took my MBP into Apple, had them fresh load it and even they couldn't get it to work properly, so in the end I had no choice but to revert back.

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I did. I used the betas up to the GM and realized that, overall, i wasn't going to be 'upgrading' just yet.

SL remains my primary OS.

7. Dnix macrumors 6502

You guys make me really scared to even try Lion, lol.

8. Takashi macrumors regular

I wanted to move back to SL as well. The only thing that's stopping me is that I will have to manually move everything back to where it was. In other words, I don't think I can use time machine (Lion) to migrate the data back to SL. Anyone know if I can do that?

9. dba415 macrumors 6502

Reverted to snow leopard over a month ago and am satisfied no doubt about it.

10. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Well what would you expect? The Air has an SSD. :)

11. Takashi macrumors regular

So after a bit of pondering I found out that Lion speeds up a lot if you uncheck "Show dashboard as a space" in Mission Control. I also removed my name on the top bar by unchecking "Show Fast user switching menu as ..." in Users & Groups. By doing both things I mentioned above OSX Lion boots up and shuts down at the same speed or faster as when I had SL installed.

Give that a try and see.

P.S. I probably have the same system configuration as your MBP (Late 2009 model with 2.5 GHz with 4 GB of RAM).

12. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I moved back to SL after 24 hours with Lion, and I don't know what I'll do when I need to upgrade to a new notebook. I've started trying to learn more about Windows and looking at different PC manufacturers to see how I would make a switch given my long-term investment in Apple's ecosystem. I wish there were a good alternative. It's frustrating—this is my first time downgrading ever with an Apple product, and I've been using Apple products since the Apple II.

I've had such severe issues that an Apple engineer finally reached out to me--although not directly--through a conduit who hasn't been great to work with--and even though I documented all of my issues at the time I was having them--they want me to reinstall Lion for no particular reason I can understand before they'll look into my issues--I guess they want me to experience the issues again before they'll move forward. I could easily explain the issues to the engineer and get him/her to produce them on his/her machine but the conduit told me it would be an inefficient use of the engineer's time. So that whole thing is in limbo until I have some time to reinstall Lion again, which isn't anytime soon as I use my computer heavily for college work and can't be messing around with Lion right now.