From Location do I Recover Mails?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kralle, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Kralle macrumors newbie

Dear users.

I have recently formatted my MacBook Pro and upgraded to Snow Leopard, but sadly I forgot to backup my mails. Since I chose to let Mail (standard mail client) to download my inbox from Hotmail, it's not possible for me to retrieve the mails via my browser or anything. Therefore I invested in a program called Stellar Phoenix, and I can see there is a good chance for me to recover the lost files. My question is: Which files from which location should I recover to make it work again?
    ~/Library/Application Support/Mail?
    ~/Applications/Mail.app?

And if anyone would happen to know how I'm supposed to import the recovered files into my reformatted Mail.app, I'd be grateful.

I hope you'll be able to help me. Thanks in advance,
    Kralle

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm not on a Mac at the moment so I can't check, but I believe mail messages are stored in ~/Library/Mail. They definitely wouldn't be in /Applications/Mail.app.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. Kralle thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, what a quick reply. :)

So do you suggest that I recover both directories? If so, do you know how to add the mails in my "new" Mail.app?

EDIT.
    Jesus Christ you guys are quick!

I'll just recover ~/Library/Mail then. Thanks a lot.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I can confirm that POP email accounts whose messages are saved locally are found in ~/Library/Mail. The account folder should be pretty identifiable, with a name resembling POP-<username>@<incoming server name>. Any recovered mailboxes will have a .mbox file extension which can be imported back into Mail.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

True, although if you just copy the files into ~/Library/Mail on your new computer you shouldn't need to do this.

7. Kralle thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant! I'll get back to you later if it doesn't work.

Thanks a bunch - you're gods amongst men.