from Macbook 2007 to MacMini 2009? iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Olivier L., Apr 16, 2009.

1. Olivier L. macrumors member

Feb 26, 2009
    hi there,

My current setup:
    - white macbook from 2007 (C2D, 2GHz, 2Gb RAM, 120 Gb)
    - firewire WD MyBook with my pictures
    - cheap Fujitsu Siemens 22 " L22W-3 monitor.

I plan to seriously increase the number of pictures I take and edit in the coming months. But my Macbook is getting noisy when I work intensively and Lightroom is sometimes slowing down a bit.

So I am thinking of upgrading / buying a home machine. The news setup should include or allow an upgrade to a much better display (NEC, EIZO..)

Option 1:
    - iMac
    It would allow me some occasional FPS gaming, and I would finally throw this windows box, but I doubt the quality of the iMac panel, from the calibration/gamut point of view.

Option 2:
    - Mac Mini: I can use my current display, calibrate it, and a bit later upgrade to a better external display (Eizo, NEC,...).

But that second option is only valid if I can experience a performance increase... So my questions are:

1)what performance increase can I expect when switching from Macbook 2007 (Tiger) to Mac Mini 2009 (Leopard)?
    - for Lightroom management/editing
    - for other tasks (occasional video editing)

2) which Mac Mini config should I take?

Thanks for any advice!
  2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    I would buy a refurb'd iMac (low-end) and stick your display on it as a second display. Then save up for a photographic-quality monitor. The mini will be faster than your MacBook but not by leaps and bounds, especially if you don't crack it open to upgrade the RAM/HD.