From Macbook Pro to an Imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Eggtastic, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I currently have a late 06' MBP. its 3.5 years old. still kicking well for my needs (internet, listening to music, watching movies, word docs). I just finished college but will be student teaching for one more semester (its like an unpaid internship) so i wont be doing much traveling in terms of lugging my computer around because ill be back home.

Thought about upgrading, but considering an imac for the power and of course screen size of the 27". When i use my laptop i never really use it off my desk and if i need to access anything off my desk that can be done with my iphone 4.

My question: Are you a person who has gone from a Macbook Pro (or macbook) to an Imac desktop. Thoughts and reasons please.

2. BreadMaster macrumors member

No, but I'm about to be!

I'm selling my 2009 MBP for a 2009 27' i5 iMac.

Do it! You won't regret!

3. endi78 macrumors member

I have a mid '06 MBP.
    I'm a graphic designer and it's still doing its dirty job with the CS4 and a 20" Cintiq!
    Since last december I've finished paying the leasing, I've decided to wait for an iMac refresh to get one.

Today I ordered the 27" + i7 + 8GB RAM!
    Since I did it through a reseller I'm afraid I will have to wait till september, but the rent conditions were great!

(sorry for my bad english, i'm italian)

4. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

My original intention was to sell my MBP when I ordered my i7. However I just love my laptop that I will be keeping it. I needed more horsepower for my photo editing so that was why I looked into an iMac. My i7 is in transit and I should be getting it soon. Later today I am going to pick up 4TB external to host my raw files. I suspect I will wait a month or two and get a SSD for my MBP. You can go this route if you think you are not going to get ur money's worth. The improvement should tie you over when you need a laptop but when you are at home you will have the power and the screen real estate of the iMac.

I'm not sure how much improvement for an SSD but I suspect it would be like getting X2 if not more out of your current laptop. Regardless the iMac is such a great buy based on the IPS screen.