From MBA to MBP - Back to MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kpdillon, Dec 7, 2011.

1. kpdillon macrumors member

So bought the MBA 13" 4GB version. Love the speed and size. Made me crave more (bigger screen, more power etc). So I ordered to build a 15" MBP. It arrived. I thought I would love it but I am having trouble getting past a couple of issues. For one, my palms/wrists get uncomfortably warm. On the MBA I didn't have this issue. I am running the exact same software (fusion with windows 7). Why is this MBP so dang warm? It's making me want to go back to the MBA.

Second issue is it's not nearly as snappy as the MBA. I assume this is because I currently have a 7200 RPM vs. an SSD and that if I swap out and put in the SSD it will start behaving as snappy as the MBA. True?

Appreciate any feedback.

2. Mr.Outside macrumors 6502

Mr.Outside

Installing an SSD will make it snappier without a doubt. As for the warmth, I'm not sure what to tell ya.

3. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you stick an SSD in a MBP, it should run faster than a MBA: faster processor

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There are so many topics on this. SSDs basically quicken anything involving launching, opening files, booting, etc. They won't speed up gaming, photoshop, handbrake, etc. assuming you have enough ram (many people don't understand how to determine how they are on ram). The Air gets extremely warm if you're watching videos, playing games, or doing anything cpu intensive. The Macbook Pro is significantly faster. What applications do you frequently run?

Edit: my next laptop will have an ssd, but it's not the sole factor in performance at all.

6. kpdillon thread starter macrumors member

Yes both palm rests are warm. It's just uncomfortable compared to the air that I used for a couple of weeks that didn't get warm at all doing the exact same tasks.

----------

Yep, I got it. I know the SSD will make it snappy. I think I will try it. I have an SSD I can put in. I am just using a windows virtual. Giving it 1GB of memory. The air is comfortable to my palms, the mbp is warm and uncomfortable.

7. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I think the battery is under what you are calling the palm rest.

However, as I recall from a typing class I took more years ago that I care to share, the instructor would come by and whack my hands if my palms were resting. Point being, "you holding it wrong..." - don't rest your palms.

8. kpdillon thread starter macrumors member

Fair point. But I also like to rest my palms there when I am not typing and doing more reading. I am guessing that this is not a unique issue to my 15" but perhaps I am just overly sensitive to it. I can accept that. I do love this screen though, will be nice when a macbook air comes out in 15" or hopefully ivy bridge will cool it down.

9. VMMan macrumors 6502a

After I got my 2011 MBA 11", I virtually stopped using my early 2011 MBP 17".

I finally installed an SSD into my MBP and now I'm back to using my MBP about 70% of the time and my MBA 30% of the time (when I need a mobile computer).

The SSD spoils you, and it's too difficult to go back to HDD, even if it is inside an incredibly well designed MBP.

Read the thread on the MCE Optibay cheap alternative, and consider installing both a SSD AND your HDD in your MBP.

10. kpdillon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks VMMAN, great feedback! I think I will give this thing a spin with an SSD before giving up on it completely.

11. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Yea, I really am enjoying the MBP 17" again since I installed the SSD.

You start to appreciate the better screen on the MBP, discrete graphics, and pure brutal raging speed of the quad-core Core i7. My GeekBench scores are about twice as high on the MBP than the MBA.

12. randomrazr macrumors 65816

all laptops will get warm. go buy an hp ro dell then if ur whiny about "the palmrests get to warm"

13. kpdillon thread starter macrumors member

Your response is not so helpful. My MBA does not get warm and this was not a thread about HP or Dell's.

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

if the heat bothers you, then i'd go back to the mba :)

15. kpdillon thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that is where my head is at right now. The air is not my dream machine but it will do for now I suppose.

16. VMMan macrumors 6502a

You have to let the MBP run a bit for it to finish the indexing. After I put in the SSD, my MBP got noticeably hot during the first couple of uses.

17. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

You are correct - The battery and the HD are both under where one would rest their palms. I used to have the same type of teacher as well! :D

18. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

The battery and HDD should not get warm at all. I'm guessing the aluminium is conducting heat and is therefore warming your palm rests up. I get this a lot while playing games in Bootcamp. If you think you're up to it, I would reapply the thermal paste. There are plenty of guides on the Internet, and the replacement thermal paste (I prefer Arctic Silver, $12 on Newegg) is cheap and easy to install. Remember: Thermal paste is supposed to be a thin, even layer, not a huge dollop as Apple tends to do. The MBA is so thin that the heat generating components radiate heat before it can be transferred to the palm rest.