from MBA to MBP

Heavenkittykat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
149
0
I currently have the macbook air Rev A 1.6 Ghz. I'm planning to sell it for $740 dollars to get a macbook pro 2.5 ghz 13 inch. I had my MBA for 20 months now it's time for me to upgrade.

I know that the macbook pro would be a much powerful and faster machine compared to my MBA however my only gripe is the size and the weight. I don't know if the thickness and the extra 1.5 lb would make a difference so I'm asking anybody's opinion on this one especially those who own both the MBA and MBP or bought the new unibody MBP after owning the MBP. Also I'm wondering if the portability of the MBA is worth its less powerful specs considering the fact that netbooks are becoming popular nowadays. thank you very much
 

Heavenkittykat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
149
0
Very subjective. Why is it time to upgrade? Can define your requirements or define your dissatisfaction with MBA?
I feel like its time for upgrade because the MBA does not satisfy my computing needs anymore. The 80 GB hard drive is getting filled really fast with only 10 GB left. Also, its getting harder to watch vidoes on the mba now because when i watch shows in hulu that last for more than 45 mins. The video will start to cut and freeze. Also, the MBA processing speed is getting a bit slower for me. The battery life also significantly decreased after 385 cycles it only last me 3 hours even with just word processing applications and internet. Also I wanted to have an upgradable RAM and the MBA is still stuck in 2 GB (although it was enough for me for the last 2 years) I would prefer an upgrade.
 

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
716
1
Athens, Greece
I went from a 15.4 fujitsu laptop to a 13" MBP and I think it's the most comfortable size. I used to have a 12" Toshiba Portege and at times it felt too small. 1.5 pounds is not that much and if you find a comfortable bag you will hardly notice.

It's smaller than more notebooks... And i mean the paper ones
 

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
1,231
1
I feel like its time for upgrade because the MBA does not satisfy my computing needs anymore. The 80 GB hard drive is getting filled really fast with only 10 GB left. Also, its getting harder to watch vidoes on the mba now because when i watch shows in hulu that last for more than 45 mins. The video will start to cut and freeze. Also, the MBA processing speed is getting a bit slower for me. The battery life also significantly decreased after 385 cycles it only last me 3 hours even with just word processing applications and internet. Also I wanted to have an upgradable RAM and the MBA is still stuck in 2 GB (although it was enough for me for the last 2 years) I would prefer an upgrade.
You might want to consider a RevC MBA.

Better processing speeds (near MBP13)
Better GPU
Better HD
Better Battery
Faster RAM
 

Heavenkittykat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
149
0
You might want to consider a RevC MBA.

Better processing speeds (near MBP13)
Better GPU
Better HD
Better Battery
Faster RAM
That's a good advice I would look into that.. I should probably go to a local apple store to ask questions and look at the devices. I will update this thread for my decision. thank you for all your inputs.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
65,900
32,236
Boston
That's a good advice I would look into that.. I should probably go to a local apple store to ask questions and look at the devices. I will update this thread for my decision. thank you for all your inputs.
For less money you get all that in a 13" MBP and, an optical drive plus more ports. I'd say go with the 13" MBP. You get more bang for your buck without sacrificing too much size and weight.
 

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
716
1
Athens, Greece
I'd still pick the 13 for the ability to use 8gb of ram and the more powerfull processor.

In fact, if money was not an object I would get a 13" 2.53 with 8gb of ram and an 160GB Intel X-25
 

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
337
13
Houston, TX
I just went through the exact upgrade. I had the same MBA and sold it here for ~700 and upgraded to the 13" 2.5 GHz MBP. The additional 1.5 lb. is very noticeable at first but I have adjusted. The displays are about the same. I didn't get a chance to do a side-by-side comparison.

Pros:
- The fans are whisper quiet; watching Youtube, hulu, flash ads...
- The .9 GHz boost is a plus
- The extra USB port is great
- The battery seems to last forever

I considered a Rev C MBA but the 2 GB RAM limit kept me from that upgrade path.


I currently have the macbook air Rev A 1.6 Ghz. I'm planning to sell it for $740 dollars to get a macbook pro 2.5 ghz 13 inch. I had my MBA for 20 months now it's time for me to upgrade.

I know that the macbook pro would be a much powerful and faster machine compared to my MBA however my only gripe is the size and the weight. I don't know if the thickness and the extra 1.5 lb would make a difference so I'm asking anybody's opinion on this one especially those who own both the MBA and MBP or bought the new unibody MBP after owning the MBP. Also I'm wondering if the portability of the MBA is worth its less powerful specs considering the fact that netbooks are becoming popular nowadays. thank you very much
 

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
7,505
156
Melbourne, Australia
I just went through the exact upgrade. I had the same MBA and sold it here for ~700 and upgraded to the 13" 2.5 GHz MBP. The additional 1.5 lb. is very noticeable at first but I have adjusted. The displays are about the same. I didn't get a chance to do a side-by-side comparison.

Pros:
- The fans are whisper quiet; watching Youtube, hulu, flash ads...
- The .9 GHz boost is a plus
- The extra USB port is great
- The battery seems to last forever

I considered a Rev C MBA but the 2 GB RAM limit kept me from that upgrade path.
Does that have a SSD in it? Because in a month I'm getting a 15" MBP with a 128GB SSD:D The SSD makes it cooler and quieter...
 

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
337
13
Houston, TX
That makes sense, but I'm too inpatient lol...
I usually am impatient too, I even had one, Intel x25-m 160 G2, in the cart and almost submitted the order. Other issues are keeping me from SSDs like TRIM support in OS X and this article from Anandtech.

I just tell myself that my current MBP is something to hold me over until the i5/i7 MBP are announced.
 

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
7,505
156
Melbourne, Australia
I usually am impatient too, I even had one, Intel x25-m 160 G2, in the cart and almost submitted the order. Other issues are keeping me from SSDs like TRIM support in OS X and this article from Anandtech.

I just tell myself that my current MBP is something to hold me over until the i5/i7 MBP are announced.
I'm not waiting for those, the duo is enough to keep me going for 4 or 5 years...
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.