from MBA to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Heavenkittykat, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

I currently have the macbook air Rev A 1.6 Ghz. I'm planning to sell it for $740 dollars to get a macbook pro 2.5 ghz 13 inch. I had my MBA for 20 months now it's time for me to upgrade.

I know that the macbook pro would be a much powerful and faster machine compared to my MBA however my only gripe is the size and the weight. I don't know if the thickness and the extra 1.5 lb would make a difference so I'm asking anybody's opinion on this one especially those who own both the MBA and MBP or bought the new unibody MBP after owning the MBP. Also I'm wondering if the portability of the MBA is worth its less powerful specs considering the fact that netbooks are becoming popular nowadays. thank you very much

2. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Very subjective. Why is it time to upgrade? Can define your requirements or define your dissatisfaction with MBA?

3. cababah macrumors 68000

I use my 13" MBP as my main machine. Definitely don't think I could do that with a netbook or even MBA.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you want a laptop more powerful than your MBA, but still portable, why not buy the high end 13"?

And why can't you keep using your MBA?

5. Heavenkittykat thread starter macrumors regular

I feel like its time for upgrade because the MBA does not satisfy my computing needs anymore. The 80 GB hard drive is getting filled really fast with only 10 GB left. Also, its getting harder to watch vidoes on the mba now because when i watch shows in hulu that last for more than 45 mins. The video will start to cut and freeze. Also, the MBA processing speed is getting a bit slower for me. The battery life also significantly decreased after 385 cycles it only last me 3 hours even with just word processing applications and internet. Also I wanted to have an upgradable RAM and the MBA is still stuck in 2 GB (although it was enough for me for the last 2 years) I would prefer an upgrade.

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I went from a 15.4 fujitsu laptop to a 13" MBP and I think it's the most comfortable size. I used to have a 12" Toshiba Portege and at times it felt too small. 1.5 pounds is not that much and if you find a comfortable bag you will hardly notice.

It's smaller than more notebooks... And i mean the paper ones

7. vant macrumors 65816

You might want to consider a RevC MBA.

Better processing speeds (near MBP13)
    Better GPU
    Better HD
    Better Battery
    Faster RAM

8. Heavenkittykat thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good advice I would look into that.. I should probably go to a local apple store to ask questions and look at the devices. I will update this thread for my decision. thank you for all your inputs.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For less money you get all that in a 13" MBP and, an optical drive plus more ports. I'd say go with the 13" MBP. You get more bang for your buck without sacrificing too much size and weight.

10. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yup, I agree.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, thats what I suggested...:rolleyes:

12. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

13. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I'd still pick the 13 for the ability to use 8gb of ram and the more powerfull processor.

In fact, if money was not an object I would get a 13" 2.53 with 8gb of ram and an 160GB Intel X-25

14. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

I just went through the exact upgrade. I had the same MBA and sold it here for ~700 and upgraded to the 13" 2.5 GHz MBP. The additional 1.5 lb. is very noticeable at first but I have adjusted. The displays are about the same. I didn't get a chance to do a side-by-side comparison.

Pros:
    - The fans are whisper quiet; watching Youtube, hulu, flash ads...
    - The .9 GHz boost is a plus
    - The extra USB port is great
    - The battery seems to last forever

I considered a Rev C MBA but the 2 GB RAM limit kept me from that upgrade path.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Does that have a SSD in it? Because in a month I'm getting a 15" MBP with a 128GB SSD:D The SSD makes it cooler and quieter...

16. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

I'm waiting for SSDs to be more affordable before upgrading.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

That makes sense, but I'm too inpatient lol...

18. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

I usually am impatient too, I even had one, Intel x25-m 160 G2, in the cart and almost submitted the order. Other issues are keeping me from SSDs like TRIM support in OS X and this article from Anandtech.

I just tell myself that my current MBP is something to hold me over until the i5/i7 MBP are announced.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm not waiting for those, the duo is enough to keep me going for 4 or 5 years...

20. fluffyx macrumors 6502

:) You can get more for your computer on eBay... more like $900 - $1000.

21. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

True, 750 isn't that much for a MBA...