From MBP 2011 13" to 15" worth price difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cicatrix, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Yesterday I ordered a 15" MBP. Long story short, my order did not go through, so I am re-ordering today from Apple. Originally I was planning on picking up a 13". The low end 13" seems the way to go between the high, and low 13". I changed my mind when I checked the 13, and 15 out at Best Buy, and wanted the 15. If I get the 15 instead I am wondering if it is really worth almost $1000.00 more.

Better screen res in the 15, especially with the 1620 upgrade.

Bigger screen in the 15, although the 13" is still ideal for my taste.

Better graphics card in the 15, 6490m

Faster processor in the 15 that I will probably never come close to maxing out but you never know. I have never even maxed out my C2D with my audio work, and that's running a lot of VST tracks too. (strictly audio work, no gaming.)

It seems like the only difference that would really be effecting my computing would be the higher screen res of the 15". I wanted to know if you folks think that seems a little, oh I don't know, mad? Am I overlooking anything.

Thanks for your knowledgeable advice, and opinions!

2. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I pretty much returned my 13" i7 in hopes to get a base 15" with high res-AG. I think it's worth it for the screen size and quad core + high res AG option. I don't think it's worth another ~$300+ though to go up to the 2.2 + 6750 and AG though. B/c 13" to 15" is a my main concern + way higher resolution to make it "worth it". But my difference is from $1500 USD to ~$1950.. although looking into apple refurb store and just spending the same as the 13" i7.

3. Derango macrumors regular

Sounds like for you, with your serious audio work would really benefit from the increased screen res. I'd say go with the 15"

low end 15 will be perfectly fine for your purposes. The high end is only really needed for gaming/3d intensive work.

4. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your attention, and knowledge on the matter. I really appreciate it. Taking into consideration of what you guys said, think I am going to stick to my plan for the 15". I know I will be happier in the long run.;)