From mid-2007 iMac to MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iKeith, Sep 22, 2016.

1. iKeith, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

iKeith macrumors member

I need a new computer. My mid-2007 iMac is finally giving up the ghost. I decided to switch to a laptop/notebook. I found this laptop on Amazon and thought for sure I would get it. For $1249, you can't beat these specs:

Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series 13.3-Inch Full HD Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core i7-6500U, 1TB SSD, 16GB Memory, Windows 10

Then I researched Windows 10 and that was a complete deal breaker! NEVER!

I considered going back to MS because I think Apple is overpriced for the specs and they're far too slow to support some newer technology. Audio still sucks.

But, I saw on the MRBuyer's Guide to NOT buy a MacBook Pro now because of the anticipated updates and release. That led me to a few questions:

1. Do you think they'll do away with the headphone jack? I hope not. I hate Bluetooth.

2. Any ideas WHEN in October it MIGHT be released? I'd be patient if my current iMac weren't driving me crazy and I need a decent notebook for video editing my YouTube videos.

3. Why doesn't Apple discount older models so we don't have to pay full price for software that's almost two years old? After all, I'll have two years less with it before they don't support updates anymore. (If, for example, the MB Pro would last seven years before upgrades aren't supported anymore, I'd only be getting five years out of it. And I don't need/care about any of the new specs. The prior release would work fine for me. But, then again, I hate paying full price for an older machine.

4. Is there anywhere I could check about getting one a bit cheaper and still get the Apple warranty? How about Final Cut Pro?

Sorry, don't mean to whine. It's just that Apple pricing comes across as arrogant ego at times. JMO.

2. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

id say second 3rd week of october is around when we will get the update event. and ohnastly if you need a mac now id just go to the referb store or to macofalltrades.com and get yourself something you could get a nice year or two old model that would still hold up for the foreseeable future . at least thats what i recommend they would all be a major improvement from a 07 iMac. id say 2013 or newer that way you get the retina display.

3. iKeith thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Second week of October, I could possibly hold out. Third week? It would take the patience of Job. I'm looking at the refurbished store now. How much practical difference is there between the processors 2.7GHz i5, 2.9GHz i5 and the 3.1GHz i7? Any examples or comparison analogies?

4. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

not much the biggest jump would be from an i5 to an i7 heres a good one on macofalltrades would get you a lot of umps for the price.
    http://www.macofalltrades.com/MacBook-Pro-15-inch-R-2-3GHz-QCi7-Late-2013-p/mbp-15-23-l13rb.htm
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    the model i linked as a current model would be almost $1000 more and other then the gpu and force touch trackpad is almost identical to the curren model witch only got the amd gpu and force touch pad other then that you would pretty much be on the latest model with a nice gpu plenty of ssd space and a ton of ram

5. iKeith thread starter macrumors member

The one you linked to is selling for $1699. Used, with used battery and only 90 day warranty on a 2013 model isn't my idea of a bargain. Sorry. No offense. I'm grateful you took the time to look it up and post it though.

6. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

not a problem. i get what your saying though. i was meaning the specs wasn't taking into consideration the warranties. il check the applee referbs and see if i find anything good u going for pro or air and what screen size

7. iKeith thread starter macrumors member

That's above and beyond... thank you. Is Mac Mall a good place to buy? I just saw them online. I want the best MacBook Pro I can get for around $1500. $1600 tops. (I only wanted to spend $1,200 tops, but that's hard with Apple. That Dell would have been PERFECT! But Windows 10? Not a chance!

I just thought if I could buy a notebook online, I might not have to pay tax on it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    From what I understand, go with a 13" if you want longer battery life, Force Touch Trackpad, or the fastest disk speed (compared to the 15"). And go with the 15" if you want the best CPU and graphics performance. (And a bigger screen.)

My main requirement is speed. I'm sooo tired of this turtle of an iMac. But, whichever one is better for video editing. Not basic but not professional either.

8. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

9. iKeith thread starter macrumors member

I was just about to ask that. Jenkies, sounds like I'm going to be spending more money than I planned. Still, it's better than having Windows 10! (Okay, I'll stop with the Windows 10 hate. It's evident.)

Just hoping for a rare discount/deal on one now.

10. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

ya windows 10 isn't all bad but macOS is so much better unless ur pc gaming then you ned windows. but yeah ur going to be spending a pretty penny but the end result will be a machine that will last u a good long time.

11. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

I went from a 2007 iMac to my MBPro. I went with a refurb.

the MR Buyers guide is totally s*it. Really, you expect people to make purchasing decisions based on date since last update? Really?

Absurd. It's a disgrace to the site IMO.

12. iKeith thread starter macrumors member

Admittedly, I don't know much about Windows. I got out during the blue screen error of death days. When I researched Windows 10, people are saying they can no longer watch videos on certain sites like Vodlocker, VidTV, GorillaVid, etc., Windows shut 'em down.

And then I read this on Wikipedia: "Windows 10 was also criticized for limiting how users can control its operation, including limited controls over the installation of updates on the main consumer-oriented edition in comparison to previous versions. Privacy concerns were also voiced by critics and advocates, as the operating system's default settings and certain features require the transmission of user data to Microsoft or its partners. Microsoft has also received criticism for how it has distributed Windows 10 to users of existing versions of Windows, which has included the automatic downloads of installation files to computers, the recurring display of pop-ups advertising the upgrade, and allegations of the installation process being scheduled or initiated automatically without expressed user consent."

THE CLINCHER AND DEAL BREAKER FOR ME: "User control over Windows Updates was removed. In earlier versions users could opt for updates to be installed automatically, or to be notified so they could update as and when they wished, or not to be notified; and they could choose which updates to install, using information about the updates. Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users may be configured by an administrator to defer updates, but only for a limited time. For example, in its Canadian licensing agreement, users of Windows 10 "may stop receiving updates on your device by turning off Internet access. If and when you re-connect to the Internet, the software will resume checking for and installing updates." Under the Windows end-user license agreement, users consent to the automatic installation of all updates, features and drivers provided by the service, and to the automatic removal or changes to features being modified or no longer provided."

SERIOUSLY????

13. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

iv read that in the past. it is a deal breaker and thats why i use windows like a console. its the same on consoles anyways i wouldn't ever do anything important on it lol. macOS/ OS X are so much superior i just hope apple doesn't go down that road in the future then linux would be our only option.