From Mini DisplayPort to LG's 32LH20

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by :: ultranol ::, Jul 29, 2009.

1. :: ultranol :: macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 13" MacBook (aluminum unibody), and I recently bought a 32" LG tv (32LH20). I was planning to buy Apple's mini-DP-to-something in order to see movies and TV shows on the big TV screen using the Mac, but I've seen a lot of people saying that those adapters are useless. Are they really? The product description on Apple Store says that the adapter is made for screens until 30", so I figured out that maybe they're right...

Besides that, my TV has entries for HDMI, "HDMI DVI-IN", "component" and that entry similar to the ones that monitors are connected to PCs... from what I've researched the best thing would be the miniDP-to-DVI and then a DVI-to-HDMI, right? Would that work, and then, is this my best option?

Thank you very much for your help, it's the first time I buy a TV in like 10 years, so these technologies are all new to me... as much as I look for information over the internet, seems that everybody knows already the basic stuff... :p

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Those adapters are not useless. Buy a Mini-Displayport to DVI adapter, then a DVI to HDMI cable. For audio, you will need a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA (red/white cable.) Amazon.com or Monoprice.com has great prices for the adapter and cables.

3. :: ultranol :: thread starter macrumors newbie

4. andrew12090 macrumors member

yea or get the displatport to hdmi one off of monoprice

5. :: ultranol :: thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there, sorry to bring this old thread back... but now that I have all needed cables (I didn't wait to buy the one-in-all), the image and the audio are OK, but I cannot select them both at the same time - I can select the TV to display the output from the HDMI cable and then the image appears but no sound; or I can select the "component" (where I plugged the audio cable) and the sound is played but no image.

What can I do? :(

Thank you so much for your help.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

http://www.lge.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-lcd-tv-32LH20.jsp

Navigate to the support section and download the manual if you don't have your TV's manual handy. On page 34 of the PDF, it shows that in order to have audio with an HDMI/DVI connection, you need to connect it to the audio jack that's next to the RGB port (labeled AUDIO IN (RGB/DVI)). It also shows that you need an adaptor that combines the left and right audio inputs into a single input.

7. :: ultranol :: thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thank you so much! It did the trick. I am lucky that I had the P2-P2 cable, because the one that the others recommended me to buy was the red/white one (P2-RCA) - but no problem, I always may end up needing that one...