From Mpeg2 to.mov in streamclip

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cosmy22, Apr 7, 2008.

1. cosmy22 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone
    I have a question regarding what settings i should do to convert Mpg2 into quicktime format?
    I shot in NTSC with a little sony HDD handycam a short movie. realizing i had no sound I downloaded MPEG streamclip (which works perfectly) but i have no idea what component to put for a .mov.
    I will import all to FCP after and do my edit.

thanks a lot for your precious time to answer my question

Lou

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, wait. What's your target output format? You should probably export as a Quicktime DV NTSC, if your target project is DV. You'll want to use an editing format of some sort, anyway.

3. cosmy22 thread starter macrumors newbie

my final format is for internet and TV
    I will use FCP to edit but as I said I need to convert Mpg2 to .mov and I have no idea how to do that with STREAMCLIP (settings)
    tanks so much for our help

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Right, but my point is: you need to settle on a format first, as in codec. .mov is just a container, it doesn't define what actual type of video or audio is contained in it.

Since I'm assuming what you shot with the HDD handycam is interlaced footage, I'd say that DV NTSC is probably fine as far as codec goes. In that case, I'd suggest an export that looks like the attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

5. cosmy22 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

If I'm only going to the internet, I usually choose to de-interlace right in streamclip. I did make the mistake of exporting from streamclip to H.264, but FCP doesn't like that format in the timeline.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

H.264 is a delivery format, not an editing format, with exception granted for AVCHD—though even that is, like HDV, converted to Apple Intermediate in iMovie '08. FCP can edit both natively, but end-user H.264 is not intended for editing in an NLE.

8. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

Yeah

I found that out the hard way, but I didn't know why it wouldn't take it.

I thought MPEG4 and H.264 were the same thing, which just means in needs to be re-wrapped by QT. I have to disagree with you as to the reason it being a matter of a 'delivery format'. It will probably be used in in-camera capture in the near future, no?

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Technically it is already, as AVCHD (and in Panasonic's upcoming pro-targeted AVC Intra format). And, technically, H.264 IS MPEG-4, just a very specific part of it.

Personally though I tend to frown on editing with interframe-based codecs like HDV or AVCHD. Too much added processor use for little gain besides "saving space."

10. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

Avc

Hmm. How do you find working w/AVC? What about it is it a pain? I guess this must be why sony is sticking to Mpeg2 for now.

Sorry - I guess you answered my question above

11. TopherHarless macrumors newbie

Whatr about HD?

I shot on an HD Sony Cam with the HD DV tapes. Now, my friend imported the files with Adobe Premiere and they are mpegs, which I realized don't work on Final Cut Pro. What should I encode them with streamclip to keep them in the HD quality? I chose HD 1080i60, but that took over 4 hours and the file is enormous. Did I do right? Should it be that big?

I want my film to look good, but I'm not an amazing editor... I need help.

Also, should I edit with Final Cut in any particular settings after I have encoded the files to .movs?

Toph

12. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

So is the $20 codec I've been reading about?

[​IMG]

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

14. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

How do I pull up that setting you have on 'compression?' I can't see it for some reason. Thats exactly what I'm looking for I think.