From PC to a Mac How to transfer User?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by piltupso, Sep 16, 2008.

1. piltupso macrumors regular

My roommate is heading From Alaska to Seattle and wants to buy a Mac laptop down there at the Mac store. The machine being replaced is an ancient PC. I have noticed the ads on tv that say at an Apple store files can be transferred to a new machine even from PC. Would it be possible to somehow store the entire PC on on a USB HD and take that into the Apple store instead of lugging the PC 1300 mi south. I am looking for some kind of solution that backs up the entire directory of the old PC like making a disk image of the users home directory in osx. Is there a way to do this without just digging around in the old machine looking for important files. I could do this with a Mac but my PC skills are lacking. Thanks

2. kalex macrumors 65816

easiest thing to do is get external USB enclosure, take the drive out of PC and put in the enclosure. attach it to mac and navigate to c:\documents and settings\username\ then copy documents, pictures, etc.

3. piltupso thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I guess I didn't realize it till to late but I was way over thinking the whole thing.