Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hansiedejong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
The Netherlands, Europe
Hi,

I'm a Mac for over a year now (a MacBook Pro 13", mid 2009). I love the OS, the simplicity, and of course the looks. I also have an iPad and an iPhone 4. At home I use my MacBook Pro on the desk and sometimes in the living room. I almost never take it anywhere, but I just like to have a laptop for vacation etc. My iPad I use always at home in the living. I think I use my iPad more than my Mac. My iPhone 4 I almost only use for phone calls and playing some games, and every day take it with me. I so can't live without my iPad / iPhone 4. Now I love the new 11.6" Air. I do nothing heavy on my Mac, so don't really need speed or something. Do you think I'm better with an Air. So in the Same situation as above stated (so use it in combination with an iPad which I use a lot in the living and in combination with my iPhone 4). So I just love the new Air, the new size and off course the speed with a SSD.

Do you guys think I Will be good out with a MacBook Air 11.6" (base model) as you guys now know my usage in combination with the iPad / iPhone 4??

Will only use the Air for web browsing, mail, school work (Office) etc.

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand

Sounds like the Air will fit your needs. Doesn't sound like you need a particularly powerful machine and the MacBook Air does all the simple stuff, and probably quite well.
I would just advise you to consider the cost of external storage into changing to a MacBook Air, as you will find that the amount of storage provided whittles away quite quickly :p

hansiedejong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
The Netherlands, Europe
Sounds like the Air will fit your needs. Doesn't sound like you need a particularly powerful machine and the MacBook Air does all the simple stuff, and probably quite well.
I would just advise you to consider the cost of external storage into changing to a MacBook Air, as you will find that the amount of storage provided whittles away quite quickly :p
Yes, I indeed think I have enough with the Air. So nice / thin, but it's so blazing fast (YouTube). And I think I have enough with 64GB. On my MBP I have only used around 20GB, so that shouldn't be a problem too. Think I Will get a new Air.....:D

rkmac

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
JAFA, New Zealand
I would sell the pro and ipad if I were you.

I dont see how the Air and iPad overlap like some people think.
My ideal setup now would be:
iMac 27" Quad
MacBook Air 11"
iPad
iPhone

I see a need for both the iPad and MacBook Air. They really arent the same sort of device at all.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; da-dk) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Have to agree, sell the iPad and the MBP. The MBA trumps the iPad for enough things, I'd certainly prefer it for couch/bed-surfing.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

hansiedejong said:
It's actually a hard decision, I can't live without my iPad....

There's nothing the iPad can do that the MacBook Air can't do, except a comfortable use even when lying down.

I have an iPad and love it to bits, but I don't think I'll miss it that badly if I have an 11.6" MBA.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Hi,

I'm a Mac for over a year now (a MacBook Pro 13", mid 2009). I love the OS, the simplicity, and of course the looks. I also have an iPad and an iPhone 4. At home I use my MacBook Pro on the desk and sometimes in the living room. I almost never take it anywhere, but I just like to have a laptop for vacation etc. My iPad I use always at home in the living. I think I use my iPad more than my Mac. My iPhone 4 I almost only use for phone calls and playing some games, and every day take it with me. I so can't live without my iPad / iPhone 4. Now I love the new 11.6" Air. I do nothing heavy on my Mac, so don't really need speed or something. Do you think I'm better with an Air. So in the Same situation as above stated (so use it in combination with an iPad which I use a lot in the living and in combination with my iPhone 4). So I just love the new Air, the new size and off course the speed with a SSD.

Do you guys think I Will be good out with a MacBook Air 11.6" (base model) as you guys now know my usage in combination with the iPad / iPhone 4??

hi,

im making the switch from the macbook pro in my sig to the 128gb 11.6"

i have essentially migrated most of my data to my NAS in my house anyway, i rarely need much storage on my laptop itself.

i have a windows 7 desktop i use for everything else and my macbook air will be my main machine.

i have thought a bit about it and im going to get the 1.6/4g/11.6/128gb

i think it will be a good replacement.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
I wouldn't exactly call the pro thick. Compared to windows laptops it's like an air already. What does the reduction in size give you? Virtually and functionally nothing useful. Only aesthetics and even then it's subjective. Oh the main reason people want it cos it's new durrr...

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I wouldn't exactly call the pro thick. Compared to windows laptops it's like an air already. What does the reduction in size give you? Virtually and functionally nothing useful. Only aesthetics and even then it's subjective. Oh the main reason people want it cos it's new durrr...

nope, its because it weighs a lot less,

even 1lb in weight reduction is huge when you carry it all day.

in this case its 4.5 to 2.9 or 2.3, thats a big reduction in weight, not to mention the screen has less glare and i think overall the machine will be more reliable due to almost everything onboard, no ram sticks to come loose , alot less cabling that can be an issue.

see it as you will, for me is a no brainer.

outsidethebox

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008

Stop making me doubt my purchase!!! :)

kingsal

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010

The base will be more than you need for those tasks. Go for it.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
There's nothing the iPad can do that the MacBook Air can't do, except a comfortable use even when lying down.

I have an iPad and love it to bits, but I don't think I'll miss it that badly if I have an 11.6" MBA.
What about the vertical orientation, 1024px? I don't have an iPad and don't think I will, but consider that an advantage.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
1. I switched from a 15" MBP to an Air 2 years ago, never missed the pro.
2. A MBA is not even in the same category as an iPad, people need to stop comparing the 2- they are not in the same world.
3. An Air is just as capable of any of the notebook line apple offers, it is just not as specked out w/ all the other's- including size.
4. I personally think the Air is the best portable machine the company offers in it's line.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
2. A MBA is not even in the same category as an iPad, people need to stop comparing the 2- they are not in the same world.
Understood. But when talking simple web browsing, comparisons are valid.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
no ram sticks to come loose , alot less cabling that can be an issue.

Wow, what are you doing to where you've had ram sticks come loose and problems with cables in your laptops?

Is this something common to Mac laptop computers?? :eek:

I'm here because I'm sort of thinking about trying out a Mac, but I've never had this kind of problem in fifteen years of daily carrying a PC laptop. I thought Macs were supposed to be built better than the Dell/HP/Thinkpad systems???? :confused::confused::confused:

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Wow, what are you doing to where you've had ram sticks come loose and problems with cables in your laptops?

Is this something common to Mac laptop computers?? :eek:

I'm here because I'm sort of thinking about trying out a Mac, but I've never had this kind of problem in fifteen years of daily carrying a PC laptop. I thought Macs were supposed to be built better than the Dell/HP/Thinkpad systems???? :confused::confused::confused:

huh...i never said anything about those being problems, i was pointing out how there are a lot less points of failure.

ps. ram sticks come out of laptops all the time, especially dell and hp units....i see them all the time when people are rough with them.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I moved from a MBP 13 to a MBA 13. Never looking back. So much lighter, faster, and the screen res is pretty nice. I use my laptop for basic functions with the occasional Hulu videos. I used to have 4GB ram and a 320GB HDD, but I do not miss it especially the instant on which helps a lot when I need to close the lid and open it back up in between classes and work. I say go for it since your needs are very basic and do not require graphic intensive work. BTW, I got the 2GB and 128SSD.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
huh...i never said anything about those being problems, i was pointing out how there are a lot less points of failure.

ps. ram sticks come out of laptops all the time, especially dell and hp units....i see them all the time when people are rough with them.

Fair enough. I figured if you brought it up, there was a reason for it that was based on having had problems. I didn't see a point in bringing up potential failure modes that hadn't ever happened, thus my implicit assumption.

Interesting experience on the dell/hp units. I moved out of having any desktop support responsibility fifteen years ago so I'll take your experience on faith. My experience is only with my and my family's systems, and I guess we're not rough on them as I've never seen that happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.