From Snow Leopard to Yosemite

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoran, Dec 24, 2014.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

I want to install Yosemite on my iMac (2.93GHz Core i7). At the moment i have Snow Leopard installed so i want to ask what is the best way to make this upgrade (clean installation) and transferring my files to the new OSX?
    I have a drive thats been used for TimeMachine, is this any good if i make a clean installation?

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i upgraded my snow leopard to my new computer running Yosemite. and
    i ran into trouble with iPhotos. the photo library on the snow leopard was too old for Yosemite to migrate it, the utility you need wasn't even part of Yosemite.
    its something you have download separately.
    it didn't even try to import it , i ended up having to copy it to an external hard disk and adding it that way

my pictures ended up getting duplicated on my iPhone

if you do a clean install of yosemite , it will encrypt your hard disk and use your iCloud password as the password to your user account, and a lot of people install yosmeite from scratch, and often scratch their head wondering what their login password is!

when i take over an old time machine backup. i haven't figured out how to inherit the entire chain.

i followed the directions and it imported my time machine, but i lost all my 9 months of backup history

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

What do you mean that it will encrypt my hard disk?

4. chabig, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014

chabig macrumors 68040

He is mistaken. Yosemite will not encrypt your disk on its own. You choose whether or not to enable encryption.

CORRECTION: rigormortis is right...see post #6.

5. rigormortis, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

what i mean is that if you install yosemite on a clean system by default it will encrypt your hard disk and if you are not reading the screen and looking for those check marks you will have no idea what your password is or that you told it to encrypt

most people will just click on OK and I AGREE and GO AHEAD and not even know what they told Yosemite to do

back when i was running early developer previews i noticed that if you do not read the screen and actually set a password it will use your iCloud password as your password

and also installing from scratch had the encrypt box checked YES

most people don't even read those check marks

if you install yosemite as an upgrade, it won't change your password and you will have to turn on fielvault manually, after the installation is complete

if you instal yosemite as a clean install, it will turn on filevault automatically unless you uncheck the box during install, and it will start encrypting as soon as you boot up

im all for filevault. but the worst thing about filevault is , if you do not have a monitor, or your monitor on your laptop has been damaged, you are screwed and their is no way to boot your computer with a second monitor , because you need your primary display to enter your password.

you can't even VNC / Share Screen on a file vaulted system, until you unlock the disk at boot

im not even sure you can boot into safe mode without the file vault password.

if you need to do safe mode or other things on a system with filevault, you can pass the file vault password in ram, to do this you open a terminal window , and type "sudo fdesetup authrestart" and it will unlock file vault on the next boot

6. chabig macrumors 68040

7. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

becaause it doesn't even ask you to supply a password , and people don't read their screen when installing software. all why do is click OK or type the product key in windows. they don't really bother to check options

when i installed test versions on vmware , i think i had to google to find out what happened

8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I still don't understand what encryption does and what is its use! :)

9. chabig macrumors 68040

It's your account password. When you log int the computer the encryption is unlocked too.

10. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if you lose your computer, they can't access your personal stuff without your password. the drive is locked when you turn it off and on. if you lose your computer, all they can do is erase it , and set it up as a new mac, unless of course you set a firmware password.

i found a hp recently. bad logic board and bad ram. we dropped it off for recycling. i looked at the hard disk. it had everything. it had his name address date of birth, social security number, prenup agreements , divorce paperwork and pictures of his genitals. i asked myself man. if i lost my hard disk, i sure would like my hard disk back. so dropped it off at his apartment complex with a note.

that is why you should encrypt your laptop

11. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

So Yosemite encrypts the drives data by default?
    In my iMac i want to setup an SSD drive for the OS and the HHD for files, which of the two drives will be encrypted? I suppose the OSX drive only?

12. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Actually he is mistaken. It will only encrypt portables by default.

iMacs, Mac minis and Mac Pros do not have FileVault 2 enabled by default.

13. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

This threads started for something else and its consumed in the encryption ability of Yosemite or whatever! :D
    Lets get back to the main subject and please answer from post #1. I want to make a clean installation and also keep in mind that i do have a drive bay (2 drives, one 3TB works as TMachine and a 2TB as storage) and a single drive external drive (1TB as storage).
    How would you do the clean installation of Yosemite?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you want a true clean install, that means completely erasing the disk then installing the OS, then after that manually reinstalling every app and manually moving over all your data.

First copy all your data to an external disk.

So for you, go to the App Store and DL Yosemite and quit the installer when it launches. Then use this app and a 8GB USB key to make an installer. Now option key boot to the installer and use Disk Utility to erase the entire disk.

To do that go to the erase tab and select the disk itself at the top of the left column. Now select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the dropdown and apply that format.

Then quit Disk Util and click install OS X.

After the install and restart make a new account for yourself. Then reinstall all your apps and manually move all your data over.

Do not use Time Machine or anything else to automatically "restore" or migrate as that is not a clan install. You have to do it all manually.

15. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Do i really have to do this? Arent all of my data in the latest TM folder, can't i locate the data from there using the TM backup drive as a regular drive, just copy and paste?

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can do it from a TM backup, it is just a bit more cumbersome. What you do is open Finder to for example the Documents folder then click enter Time Machine from the TM menu item. Then find the data you want to move back and select it then right click then tell it to restore that data. If it just a few folders, it won't be too bad.... but I just find it a slow process if you need to do this over and over with a lot of folders/items.

17. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Well i do have an external 1TB drive that is available, you think i should just copy all the stuff there? Grab the Macintosh HD and place it there?

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A drag and drop won't copy some hidden and system files. I would just use the free 30 day trial version of Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the disk to make sure you get everything.

19. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay but i believe there shouldn't be any hidden files created by me, they should be mostly system files or am i mistaking?

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Correct... anything hidden would be system files. If you are sure where everything is, you can just drag drop the relevant folders like Documents, Pictures etc.

I just did not want to see you wipe then realize you missed something.

21. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Fair enough, thanx :) Οk suppose i use the Carbon Copy Cloner. What kind of file does it create when it stores the files? Are the files stored viewable or are they compressed somehow?

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The files stay in their original form. It just flat out clones all the files and folders to the new drive. No containers or anything.

23. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

CCC will create a (bootable) clone of your internal disc that is an exact copy of it (no compression).

You will be able to browse your clone like you browse your internal disc.

The internal disc and the clone look exactly the same.

:D ninja'd again :D

Sorry Weaselboy, your led was blue, so I thought your were not connected

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not doing this on purpose I swear! :p:p