from SnowLeopard to MountainLion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoran, Sep 11, 2013.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

I wanna install MountainLion on my iMac (2.93GHz corei7). I already have SL installed so i wanna ask:
    1. is this update worth it? and why?
    2. what is the best way to make this upgrade (ML clean installation) and transferring my files to the new osx?
    3. when is Maverics about to be released?

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Yes, the update is worth it, but mavericks might be soon, wait for that. It will be similar performance to snow leopard unlike mountain lion.

3. simsaladimbamba

1. It depends on your computational needs and if the new features of OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion can provide you with joy.

2. Using the Mac App Store (MAS) to download the OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion installer and executing the installer.
    But backup before doing so, and maybe even back up the OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion installer (downloaded to the Applications folder (4.x GB file).
    If the upgrade goes smooth (in case it does not, you have created that backup), there is no need to transfer any files or settings or applications, as everything will be still there.

3. End of October 2013 is the most likely date. But it could also be the end of November.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

New versions of OS X are designed to install "in the place" of your existing OS, leaving all your data, apps, and settings intact on the disk.
    There is no need to do a clean install -- particularly if you are just going to migrate everything across anyway.

I have updated my existing OS from 10.2 to 10.9. I've done a clean install maybe twice.

I would certainly wait for Mavericks to come out, rather than buying and installing 10.8 and the getting Mvx a couple of weeks later.

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Does Mvx have specs for optimum performance? Will it run ok with my iMac?

6. simsaladimbamba

If OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion will run, OS X 10.9 Mavericks will run too. If you have at least 4 GB RAM, you will be okay with your CPU and GPU.