From Soundtrack Pro to...? DAW recommendations?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by relbbircs, Jul 8, 2012.

1. relbbircs macrumors regular

I've been producing/hosting a weekly podcast for a little over six years. For most of that time I've been using Soundtrack Pro to record, edit, and master. But now I've upgraded my 20008 octo core to a 2012 hex core, and along with that my MOTU Traveler (the original version) to an RME Fireface UCX, I'm thinking I should also switch from STP to a better, newer DAW, especially since Apple seems to have quietly deprecated STP with no prospective replacement in sight.

My go-to guy for hardware suggests Pro Tools, but I'm not entirely sure that it would be appropriate for me. Cubase, likewise, doesn't speak to me, nor do several of the other usual suspects. I'm fiddling with a trial version of Adobe Audition, which seems nice, but it can't do some things I do routinely with STP (like adding ambient sound -- at least, not automatically resizing an ambient sound clip where necessary, if I understand what I'm doing, which may not be the case).

I record at 24/96, and may now go higher with the UCX (this provides lots of headroom for editing). I need multitrack for putting together the final podcast with intro and exit comments, music bumpers, etc. And I need a good export ability to .mp3 format. Otherwise it's just relatively simple editing (I use iZotope RX for noise reductions) so I don't have any need for most features of the commercial programs.

I've tried Audacity and don't really like it. It used to crash a lot; maybe it doesn't do that now but I don't really trust it, either.

Do any experienced, maybe professional (?), audio people have ideas about appropriate software? All suggestions are welcome and much appreciated.

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

GarageBand would probably do what you want, or you could also consider Apple's Logic.

Reaper also looks like a very nice low-cost DAW.

The interface you're using sounds completely over the top of the sort of work you do... 24/96 is already excessive for podcast use - any higher sampling rate makes no sense at all.

3. relbbircs thread starter macrumors regular

That's the conventional wisdom. But I can hear the difference. Anyhow, it seems to work: in each of the last five years my podcast has placed among the top ten finalists in the political category at the Annual Podcast Awards competiton. Other finalists having much larger audiences, and being much more professionally produced shows.

I also, btw, use a Neumann U-87 mic. Over the top? Yes!

Garageband won't cut it. Nor would using a mic on an iToy...

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

What, even on a compressed 16/44.1 mp3?

Any differences you hear are more likely to be down to equalisation.

Good stuff. Care to share your podcast name?

GarageBand records in 24bit, has all the processing you need for a talk show and also contains tools to manage enhanced podcasts (images, chapters, notes etc.). Don't let arrogance deter you from using a productive tool ;)

5. relbbircs thread starter macrumors regular

That's Electric Politics at www.electricpolitics.com but I'm on vacation at the moment... Will start up again in August. Free archives go back to 2006 -- there's probably something there that you'll find interesting.