From Sprint to AT&T for the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Mar 29, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I thought some people may find this to be useful information. I purchased a refurbished 8gig iPhone 3G Black on December 31st, 2008 to take advantage of the $99 sale which was supposed to never happen again. Haha. I had been a Sprint customer for almost 10 years and was satisfied with the call quality and coverage but couldn't stand the customer service or crappy phones. My girlfriend was an AT&T subscriber and I have been an Apple enthusist for years and decided it was worth it.

I received my phone in the mail 2 days later and even though it was 2am when I got home and saw the box I still decided it was time to activate and set it up. After about 20 minutes and no luck I went to bed. The next day I called AT&T and they told me to call AppleCare, which was closed. I decided to drive to the AT&T store where they couldn't figure out why my phone wouldn't activate and told me to go to call AppleCare. I called AT&T customer service from the AT&T store and before I could even finish my question the guy knew the problem and fixed it.

I'm now almost 3 full months into the switch and I think it was absolutely worth it. Yes, the call quality is slightly poorer on AT&Ts GSM than Sprints CDMA, I can occasionally hear static on GSM and the voice isn't always that clear, BUT I get better signal in more places and the iPhone is incredible. I have not once regretted switching over, and am more than happy with the service.

I hope this helps. - Eric

PS: I'll be writing about how AT&T refurbishes iPhones next.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Congrats on your purchase OP. And yep, I thought too that refurb sale was never gonna happen again, we spoke too soon :p

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good onya' OP; I made the same move from Sprint to AT&T after 10 years with Sprint as well. AT&T had the Razr when I made the move and the iPhone was a plus when it was released.....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

4. Apple iKid macrumors regular

Congratulations! iPhones are definitely amazing. Your super lucky that you got one for so cheap. I bought my original iPhone and low and behold, 2 weeks later they release the 3G and cut the price in half.

Im glad I found MacRumors... Ill never make that mistake again!.
    :D

5. SimpsonsFan007 macrumors member

Great to hear, man! My wife and I are going from Sprint to AT&T for the iPhone as well. We're trying to not think about the 3,4,5 month wait for the new version to come out, but it should make it worth the wait we hope!

6. jblnks3 Guest

I left sprint too for at&t but at first the customer service kind of remind me of sprint.

I wanted to get an iPhone at first but didn't wanna do pay and wait 2/3 weeks to it to come in so I went to radio shack(closest at@t store is 45 miles away) and got a blackberry curve. I find out two days later that the at&t store sells them in the store now. So I call customer service and they told me I could take the phone back to radio shack and keep the sim card then go get the iPhone at the new customer price, I just had to wait two days without my account in service.

Long story short, I waited the two days, called customer service a few times just making sure I can still get the new customer price, the day before I get my phone they said I couldn't. I had to pay the upgraded price of 599 even though I was only on at&t for 4 days haha.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Ridiculous.

This is why I always try to remember to get the CSR's name when I'm told something that sounds like it's too good to be true.

8. marine610610 macrumors regular

Did you have to pay the 200.00 to get out of sprint?

9. jblnks3 Guest

I was going to but I talk to like 4 CSR and they all acted like this happens all the time. Whats worse was that I even talked a manager and he said it was okay too.

10. jblnks3 Guest

I sold my sprint phone to pay for the fee which helped out a little.

11. Rusalka macrumors regular

Rusalka

ex-sptrint myself

God, I am so happy I made the switch, I got sooooo tired of having to deal with Sprints customer service every time something went wrong with the POS phones they gave me (Which was often)

All the service I'd had with ATT/Apple has been amazing. People are so nice and attentive, I don't get attitude and rudeness. And they actually manage to fix my problem usually within the FIRST call.

I am so glad I made the switch.

jblnks3: Don't you get a 30 day trial? Couldn't you have cancelled and re-signed? Lord knows, I wouldn't have taken no for an answer at a 600$ price tag

12. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I had been out of contract for a long time. I always felt better knowing they were at my mercy and not the other way around. - Eric

13. syclick macrumors regular

Great post. I am about to jump ship from Sprint for the same reasons as you (bad customer service and crappy phones) and go with AT&T when (if?) the new iPhone is released. Good to know it was worth it. :)

14. jblnks3 Guest

If I would of cancelled I would of lost my number since I ported it over from sprint and already signed up with at&t. The CRS wouldn't even work on waiving my first months bill either. But since that they have been excellent.