From Sprint to T-Mobile to AT&T in a week (speed test results to come)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chuffman15, Mar 24, 2014.

1. chuffman15, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

chuffman15 macrumors regular

Just like the title says, I had sprint and was sick of the subpar 3g and LTE service in my areas(work in Mclean, VA and live in Martinsburg, WV). Its great that you get unlimited data but the fact that its at 1Mbps isnt a luxury, its a hassle. I have 2 iphones, a black 32gb iphone 5 and a pink 16gb iphone 5c and have about 15 months left on my contracts. The ETF's are about $300 per line. I was tempted by TMO because they also have unlimited data, they pay your ETF, and they give you money for your phones after you trade them in. This was perfect. New Network. New phones, and money back. After looking at the TMO coverage map my home was in the 2G speed area, which didnt really bother me because I'm rarely at home and when I am home I'm on wifi. So I ordered an iphone 5s and an iphone 5c for my wife. While waiting for the phones to be shipped I ran into 2 friends at work. One had TMO and the other AT&T. I immediately started doing speedtests at work, and sprint was better than TMO roughly 1Mbps vs. .8Mbps. Not impressed with either, I tested the AT&T phone and good god 38Mbps (faster than my wifi at home). After the speedtests I had absolutely no faith in TMO or Sprint and had my eyes on AT&T. I looked at the coverage map and surprisingly both of my locations were in 4g LTE areas. On top of great coverage, AT&T is offering $100 credit per new line of service until 3/31. So I ordered AT&T iphones. Now my plan is to sell the sprint iphones to pay the ETF's and be free and clear of sprint as well as return the TMO phones. But before i return the phones i plan on doing random speed tests at my work and home and points inbetween to see who has the best coverage between the 3 carriers atleast for me. The TMO phones arrived today and the AT&T phone will arrive tomorrow. I'll start testing them tomorrow and I'll be updating this thread with my progress.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's great you found a carrier that works well in your area. However, I think you could have saved yourself some trouble by looking at the coverage maps of the carriers you were considering first--and then asked your friends about their service.

On average, coverage between Sprint/TMO and AT&T is like night and day. TMO is great within large cities but sucks outside of them--while Sprint only has small pockets of good service.

3. Black Magic macrumors 68020

Black Magic

I already tested between Sprint and AT&T in my area and I'll just say this, AT&T is the winner by a long shot. AT&T's 4G service (not to be mistaken for LTE) is WAY BETTER than Sprint's LTE service.

I can't wait to dump Sprint for good.

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

So…what you're saying is that your sole criteria for service is based on speed tests and you use coverage maps to verify the results of your speed tests.

No consideration for customer service, plans, limitations, costs, network reliability and expansion plans.

You go wherever the speed test tells you the "fastest" carrier is because faster means better.

Got it!

6. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

I considered all those things, im not going to write about them. I think my post was already too long. everybody knows about the plans, limitations, costs, network reliability and expansion plans. ATT is leaps and bounds ahead in most categories. why should I write about common knowledge?

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Besides plans, I think AT&T is right up there with VZW for customer service, network reliability, network expansion, etc :)

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

And I complain about my ~20mile commute to McLean....

9. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

yup, 65 miles. an hour and a half to 2 hours one way.

10. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

thankfully, since owning the original iPhone with Cingular (now at&t) I've had ZERO problems with network and customer service. My speed has been consistent throughout. I'm also looking into them when buying a house for Cable and Internet service. I'm limited right now living in an apartment.

11. Black Magic macrumors 68020

Black Magic

UVerse is damn good. Only downside is the price. You have to call every year threatening to leave for them to apply discount promotions to your account to save some nice money. I have a yearly reminder on my iPhone to call them.

Service wise, I rarely have outages.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, I am with the guy who said you could have avoided this by looking at coverage maps but at least you settled on a service. As for post length, you could probably write about your whole experience in a new paragraph. ;)

13. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

The way your original post was written you made it seem that speed tests were all you were concerned about.

By not mentioning that you had other criteria because "everybody" knows about the plans, limitations, costs, network reliability and expansion plans you assume that everyone knows what you know. Then you justify your assumption by saying it would have added to a post that was already too long.

And then you wonder why you are being questioned.

----------

I don't disagree with you. I just think that the OP might have mentioned he had other considerations. Without mentioning that, it just looks like speed tests are his only criteria.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Cost wise, it shows you get what you pay for. What good is $30 for unlimited everything or whatever T-Mo is offering if your speeds are barely better than EDGE?

I'd say Sprint loses the limitations argument with their inability to do simultaneous voice and data (or maybe they've finally fixed it? Last I checked, they haven't).

Ultimately, the best service is what works best where you spend most of your day - work and home. Today it's one carrier. If he moves or gets a new job, it might be a different one.

15. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Absolutely!

Go wherever meets your needs. I just questioned the OP because speed tests are not (IMO) a good metric to base your final decision on. Speed tests are subjective and should be just one part of other factors in the decision.

But the OP has now stated that there was other criteria. That being the case, it's good he found a carrier that meets his needs.

16. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

is that in the middle of no where? :D. I think anything more than a 5 miles is another country. It's like what do you mean I can't walk there !!!

Still your at&T 4g speed is crazy. Mine is like 14 in Boston and 9 in CT. If I was able to get 40mb/s I would just get rid of home internet and use the little 4g router thing they have.

Went to T-mobile and the speed is very similar to what it was in AT&T and voice is the same. Wasn't a huge change other than what you end up paying per month. It really depends on your location.

17. Wide opeN macrumors 6502a

Wide opeN

Well I'm glad you got what works for you.

Nearly 10 years here on AT&T!!!

18. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

do you have a script that alerts you any time someone mentions sprint?

19. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

LOL! Seems that way, huh? :D

20. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

My area - Dunedin, Florida

Sprint and T-Mobil failed. Lousy coverage

Verizon and AT&T had the best.

Coverage researched with both Sprint and T-Mobil showed it would be good but that was not the case, so I do not rely on those coverage maps anymore, nor the reps that are pushing their product.

21. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I haven't been down in Dunedin lately but T-Mo coverage around New Port Richey/St. Pete/Clearwater is excellent.

22. chuffman15, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

ok, its been an eventful 3 days. i received the tmobile iPhones (5s and 5c)on monday and the att iphones(5s and 5c) on tuesday. and i already had sprint iphones(iPhone 5 and 5c.).
    i decided that i would test all 3(TMO, ATT , and Sprint) going to work on wednesday as well as testing at my home and work.
    here are my test subjects:
    Sprint iphone 5 32gb black md660ll/a running 7.1
    ATT iphone 5s 32gb black me308ll/a running 7.1
    TMO iphone 5s 32gb black me326ll/a running 7.0.4

i tested at my house, and at work in several locations as well as these passing cities:
    Martinsburg,WV(home)
    Kearneysville,WV
    Shenandoah Junction, WV
    Ranson, WV
    Charles Town WV
    Paeonian Springs , VA
    Leesburg, VA
    Ashburn, VA
    Potomac Falls, VA
    Great Falls, VA
    McLean , VA
    at work i tested at the front gate where i work security as well as the front desk and my main office

23. chuffman15 thread starter macrumors regular

The SpeedTest Results Are In!

The results are as follows:

Martinsburg, WV
    Sprint 1.81 D 1.15U
    ATT 4.37D 0.65U
    TMO 0.09D 0.08U

Kearneysville, WV
    Sprint 3.88D 1.52U
    ATT 4.29D 2.18U
    TMO 0.02D 0.24U

Shenandoah Junction,WV