From Tiger to Leopard Using CCC

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by atiffarooq, Aug 13, 2008.

1. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I'm currently in the process of upgrading some components in my Macbook (2006 version). Today I upgraded to 2GB RAM which was simple. Tomorrrow I have a WD 320GB HDD arriving, as well as Windows Vista Home Premium and Leopard. Vista is going to be used in conjunction with BootCamp. I currently have Tiger installed on my MacBook.

I would like to clone my current settings on to my new HDD. I have downloaded CCC and I have a external portable hard drive to create the clone on. My question is, what is the best way to set the new HDD up? Should I install Tiger on to the new HDD and then clone the settings/apps across, and then install Leopard, or am I completely off track and should I be doing something different?

Sorry if my question sounds stupid, I haven't done anything like this before. It is also not possible for me to get an enclosure for the new HDD, I have to use the portable HDD to clone my settings across.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

The purpose of the clone is to do a complete backup in case the upgrade process hits the fan.

Clone the internal with Tiger on it to the new drive (you will need an external case), test the clone by booting from it.

After everything is validated, switch the HDs, and then install Leopard on the new drive. Your old one can go to the external and be your "backup" until everything seems ok with the new drive/Leopard.

Simple yeah? :D

3. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Your idea should work. As an alternative you can clone your current tiger to the external drive. Install the new drive inside and install leopard on it. Then use the migration assistant to transfer your applications and settings from the external to the new internal drive.
    You will still have the original tiger harddisk with everything should something go wrong in the process.

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

This might be cleaner than my approach, as I believe it wouldn't bring system files (not sure if installing Leopard on top of Tiger completely cleans the system). I don't remember the options on the install screen.

5. atiffarooq thread starter macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Thanks for your responses guys. It's already seeming a lot easier!