From Tiger to Snowleopard - or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZballZ, Aug 15, 2009.

1. ZballZ macrumors regular

I have a macbook pro c2duo 2,33ghz, late 2006. Leopard was out the summer after my purchase, if I recall correctly, but since I had just gotten everything up and running perfectly, including boot-camp with WinXP, I decided to skip Leopard, to avoid any hazzles...

So now snowleopard is coming, and should be running smoother and better than leopard, smaller footprint, better OpenGL etc.... so I wonder if I could actually see a performance boost (or a least avoid the opposite!) if I go for it... ??

And, would I have to do a complete re-install of all my apps? And would I risc not all of them can run in Snowleopard?

Advice appreciated!,

ThX

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Just instal it.

There is an upgrade mode that retains your settings.

There is a small small small chance that some of your apps won't work.

If your worried, just back up before doing it.

I think you will love Snow Leopard :)

-Omi

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I'd install it. OS X has been great about providing performance improvements with each upgrade since they went from 10.0 to 10.1.

To echo yoyo, there is a very small chance that a couple of applications won't work.

Go for it.

4. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

Cool - sounds pretty safe then :)

Would it be better to not just upgrade, but format the whole drive and do a clean install? Or is this just a waste of time?

...and to my other question. What are the odds that Snow Leopard is going to run smoother and faster than Tiger (on same machine...) ??

5. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

I'd wait until 10.6.1 or higher.

You waited this long, I'd wait and see how 10.6.0 acts on laptops with your specs first.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Honestly? Do yourself a favor, don't be lazy. You've had the computer for 3 years now using it daily (I'm assuming), if you pop in the Snow Leopard disc and hit upgrade you most likely will end up in an unstable install due to existing files lying around and maybe some corrupt files that won't agree with SL.

You're getting a brand new OS, install it on empty drive. When you pop in the install disc you can erase, reformat and install SL. What's a few hours out of one day to reinstall all of your apps and having a smooth running computer after using it for several years. If you have a corrupt install you will most likely be creating threads blaming SL for all the issues you are having. Tiger has both PowerPC and Intel coding, with SL only being written for Intel Macs it will run smoother. Enjoy, it's almost here. :)

7. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Backup - Format - Install.

It's the best way. Especially when you are skipping a whole OS version...

8. frenetic macrumors regular

I don't understand all these advices to do a clean install - I have always chosen "archive and install" and it does the job perfectly: it retains all your settings and files but does a new install of the system folder and kernel. The only difference I can see is that after 8 years I probably have a lot of plist files and application support files around, but they don't take up any space. But system-wise, archive and install is as stable as a clean install. Upgrading, however, is a different matter.

Frenetic

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

exactly what i am doing with my Mac mini running 10.4.11

there is no substitute for a brand new computer. in essence, a format and clean install is close to the exact same thing. backup everything you need and start new. it's fun and it's like getting a new computer

if only SL came with 'that new computer smell' too