From TZ5 to SX30, or...?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Techichi, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Techichi macrumors newbie

Hello all, I have to admit that I am not an expert in photography so I thought that seeking advice for a possible future purchase in this area on this forum would be a good idea.

I currently own a compact Panasonic DMC-TZ5 which I bought a few years ago. I am quite satisfied with the photos it takes in good light conditions but overall I haven't been enthusiastic about this camera. I suppose that it does what a compact camera is supposed to do just fine, but I can't help but look at the photos taken by my friends who own a DSLR with a bit of envy.

I just stumbled upon a great offer for a Canon SX30 IS, which I would be able to buy for one-third of its full price through a voucher. Would I notice a big improvement upgrading to this bridge camera from my TZ5? What can I expect from it? How does it compare to a DSLR?

Keep in mind that I really enjoy taking photographs but I don't know if I have the dedication necessary or the kind of money needed to purchase a DSLR and possibly an additional lens for it just yet. Hopefully some of you who know a bit more about photography will be able to help me with this choice. Let me know if you have any further questions for me to help me with my decision. :)

Thank you in advance.

2. thepominlaw macrumors member

I was in a similar situation, I own a TZ10 and owned a Canon SX1, I sold the SX1 as I was dissapointed with it, very plasticy and photos were not that good and the HD video suffered from the rolling shutter effect.

Instead I sold the SX1 and bought the Panasonic GF2 which is on offer at present as the GF3 is now out.

I bought the GF2 twin lens kit for £299, better still i also got £30 cashback, a free SLR backpack (useful for my 30D) and a 5 year warranty from panasonic together with a free full copy of lightroom 3 :D

Very pleased with the camera