From "Unlocked" to "Locked"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by McRumour, Oct 31, 2013.

1. McRumour macrumors member

In order to resolve a "Call Forwarding" glitch on my 5S - Apple has suggested I try swapping the T-Mobile nano-sim card (now activated) which came with the phone - for a new T-Mobile card which I'd get at local T-Mobile store.
    My phone was purchased thru the Apple Online Store, contract-free. It arrived with the T-Mobile card pre-installed.

Might this swap cause my "unlocked" phone to become a "locked" device?

ie: What's the connection (if any) between a t-Mobile nano sim supplied with an iPhone purchased directly thru Apple - and a card obtained at a T-Mobile store?

2. Belmont31R macrumors 6502

I am using a nano sim I got in a T-Mobile store and it works fine in my unlocked 5S.

3. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Wow....

Do you know what the purpose of an unlocked phone is? The ability to swap sims from different carriers. So, why do you think swapping sims with the same T-Mobile carrier suddenly lock your phone?

Just think about it....

4. McRumour thread starter macrumors member

I have no doubt it will work.
    My question is: Will my phone continue to be "unlocked" as it is now?
    I've read on this forum that the new phones purchased at T-Mobile (as opposed to those bought at Apple store) are locked for at least a 40 day period.
    I need to know whether swapping sims will cause my unlocked phone to become locked (at least for 40 days)

----------

I'm seeking guidance. I make no pretense at being knowledgeable......
    If my query seems unbelievably stupid.....hey.....this is an area in which I'm totally uninformed - so please cut me some slack.....I come to this great forum for answers to my "dumb" questions ;)

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Your phone can't magically go from unlocked to locked. It's always unlocked so swapping SIM cards doesn't change anything.

6. McRumour thread starter macrumors member

ok.....thanks for that reassurance
    I have zero understanding of exactly what info is contained on a sim card and whether what it contains has any relation to what makes a phone locked or unlocked.
    I don't want to "jump from frying pan into fire" ( solve one problem whilst causing another )
    Again...thanks for the clarification.....

7. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

Nothing. It will not "lock your phone." Your iPhone is unlocked and you can use it with any GSM SIM card.

8. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

reason why T-Mobile iPhone 5S are unlocked is because you're paying full price. compare to ATT which is subsidized. so they have to wait 2 years for the life of the contract before ATT will unlock it (correct me if i am wrong pls.)