From Verizon to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fuerza, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Fuerza macrumors newbie

Fuerza

I want to switch from Verizon to ATT, it's my understanding is that all iPhones 6 and newer are unlocked from Verizon. My wife has a 6 Plus and I have a 6s. Is it truly possible to switch from Verizon to ATT and keep our devices? I know I have to buy out my current phones from Verizon. But I don't want to do a buyout then have to buy another iPhone from ATT.

2. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

You can keep your current devices and bring them to AT&T, yes.

3. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

This is correct I've used a Verizon iPhone 5S on AT&T as well as a Verizon iPhone 6 on AT&T. Verizon iPhones are unlocked since I believe the iPhone 5.

4. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Yes, Verizon phones on att work perfectly. I have active lines on both att and VZ. A couple of the lines on att are actually VZ 6/6splus versions purchased from Apple.

5. Fuerza thread starter macrumors newbie

Fuerza

Thank you for the fast response! The reason for the switch is to take advantage of the ATT promo of combined cell and cable. It will give me 22GB of data per line. Does anyone use that feature from ATT? The supposed unlimited data for combined phone and cable service?

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

To be technical here…all LTE devices on Verizon come unlocked per an agreement with the FCC - Android, WinMo and iPhone.

7. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Very true, but the devices in the question were iPhones, so I was only referencing iPhones in my reply and the 5 was the first iPhone to have LTE, but yes your post is more correct :)

8. superevangelist1 macrumors member

superevangelist1

Hey, yes I do. I signed up just after the deal was announced. I have both Directv and the AT&T unlimited plan with two lines. So far so good. :)

9. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I don't believe it's 22 GB of data per line. I think it's a 22 GB bucket of LTE data for all lines to share and then after that, your speeds could be throttled but you won't have to worry about data overages. Also, keep in mind that you cannot use Personal Hotspot on the new AT&T Unlimited plan.

That said, I switched two lines from Verizon to AT&T last year and I have no regrets. The employer discount I get through AT&T is 24% vs. a puny 6% with Verizon.

I have 6 GB of data with rollover and while traveling in Canada and Mexico, I have unlimited calling and texting to numbers in those countries and also back to the U.S. I also have 1 GB of data per line per month to use in Canada and Mexico. That's all included with my AT&T Mobile Share Value plan. You do have to call and ask the AT&T retention department specifically to add the Canada roaming bonus to your plan but they'll gladly do it in my experience. You can add the Mexico roaming bonus through the AT&T website.

Verizon is simply not coming anywhere close to matching what I can get with AT&T right now for the price that I'm paying.

10. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

As a Verizon user I have to admit I'm jealous by the rollover data and the unlimited calling/texting to Canada and Mexico. Not that I travel to or text/call those countries but those are nice incentives. I'm going to be re-evaluating my plan in the near future as it seems that there are some pretty awesome deals out there.

11. superevangelist1 macrumors member

superevangelist1

It is, in fact, 22gb per line before throttling occurs.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't have a combined bill, they're promotion only says directtv customers are eligible for the unlimited tier. So far, I've gone through a billing cycle no problem at all.

13. avanpelt macrumors 68030

While I'm not generally a fan of T-Mobile, I applaud them for stirring up the wireless industry and forcing AT&T and Verizon to compete for every dollar they bring in.

Good to know. Thanks for clarifying. That's an even better deal than I thought, then. There's no way my wife and I need 44 GB of combined LTE data per month, though, so I'd rather save $45 per month and stick with the 6 GB plus rollover that we have currently.

14. superevangelist1 macrumors member

superevangelist1

I tried to get combined billing for the $10 discount, but my Directv is bundled with Centurylink. I was on hold with an AT&T rep as we tried to get Centurylink to unbundle and most everyone at CL had no idea of how to unbundle. After one hour I gave up.

15. karpeltunnel10 macrumors newbie

The wireless and DIRECTV accounts don't have to be unified in order to be on the AT&T Unlimited plan, the only thing that must match is the address on both accounts so whether or not they are bundled won't make a difference so you will be fine not bundling them. The only thing the unification does is save you $10 monthly on your DIRECTV bill.

As far as the 22gb, it is per line and that will only slow down if you're on a congested tower (think at a major sporting event). It doesn't throttle the data either, you are simply not given the priority on the tower anymore so other users get the faster speeds.