From vertical to horizontal?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ChrisJN, Jul 22, 2014.

1. ChrisJN macrumors newbie

First, pardon my English, not my first language...

I got a problem with some photos I have been taken. There is this webpage in my country who is having a photo-competition. And I feel I have a good chance to win... all the photos are taken with an iphone 3Gs, and they still look, if I should say it myself, superb. Problem is that this webpage for some reason can't show photos which are not taken horizontal... this is really frustrating.

So my question is if there is a program out there I can use to turn my vertical pictures horizontal without cutting the picture too much?

I have an older iMac with iphoto 09

Thanks

Chris

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

3. ChrisJN thread starter macrumors newbie

If I open a picture in iphoto and rotate it, the people on the photo will rotate with it ofcause.. and that is a no go. I need to somehow... turn it horizontal without the picture itself rotate

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Then you will just have to crop it.

5. ChrisJN thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Just too bad I can't do much more about it... the best it can do is a 4x6, and then I lose most of the idea with the photo since it's taken pretty "up close". Any way I can zoom out and to get more of the picture?

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

You have answered your own question. iPhoto will do this as well as any other.

The problem is one of logic and geometry. Assuming the image has been rotated so that "up is up" then the only way to make a vertical image horizontal is to crop (cut) it. The minimum crop would be to make it square.

Is square acceptable? If not check "unconstrained" in iPhoto and make it 10x9 or something.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

These were the words I was looking for when I first read this post.

8. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

How about letter boxing it? Increase the canvas size -- widen it so that you have a pleasing proportion, and fill the blank space on the side with an appropriate color. Or leave the sides transparent to let the web page background show through.

9. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

+1 I was going to post exactly this, seems your best option

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

good idea! Why didnt I think of this. :)

11. Mike4AU macrumors member

Find someone who has Photoshop CC or 2014 and ask them to use Content Aware Scale. That will do an excellent job of changing portrait mode to landscape mode.

Good luck.

Mike