From were to buy an Used Mac Pro ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ediflorianus, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ediflorianus macrumors newbie

From were to buy an Used Mac Pro ?(may also be interested in a DDR2 PCIE G5... with good case & fan condition - esthetic -)
    I'm interested in a Mac pro at around 4-500 $ tops (I'm from Est Europe )

Were can I get a good deal ? (I have hard drive's or video card so that's not so important)

I may also buy a defective unit if it starts and if it show's something on the screen ( sorry for any inconvenience for the moderators ) I'm pretty skilled in repairing stuff *also own a hot air chip solder machine (if it fixes the problem I'm not so good at re balling a chipset if it had fallen off)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

eBay, but to even get the first Mac Pro for 4-500 USD might be a little hard. A defective unit maybe, but then you might be spending more for repairing it.

Have a look at www.mac2sell.net and see what the prices for used machines are.

Btw, not every graphics card you can get will work with a Mac Pro.

3. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

you wont get a mac pro for that money, you might get a case if your lucky enough to find one, best add at least another 500€ to your estimate ;)

4. ediflorianus thread starter macrumors newbie

at 1500-1600 euros I can get the new unit 8 core Nehalem , but I don't have that much
    my STOC G5 (used) Was around 250-280 Euros around 1 year and 8 months ago

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Because the G5 is older than the first Mac Pro 1,1. It even uses an older and different architecture (PPC vs x86), thus there was a significant price drop after the Intel Macs have been introduced.

Have you even taken a look at eBay, Craigslist or Mac2sell to see some prices?

6. Wonderl33t macrumors newbie

7. malcolm233391 macrumors member

Try Craigslist, especially in Sacramento for the 2009 Mac Pro 8 Core.

8. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

No, that is a bad deal. That is the 2007 8-core model prior to the official 2008 models, which sported increased specs across the board. Not only that, but it can be found for much less (in the US $1,700 range).

9. Wonderl33t macrumors newbie

oh okay. I thought it was an 08 model, I thought the 07 models were dual dual-core ("4 cores")

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Nope those are the '06 MacPro 1,1 models with 32bit EFI. Which Apple no longer supports :)

Which still go for $1000US+

11. ediflorianus thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know about you , but I's a bit over my budget (I prefer to invest in long term than put down 1500 euros ) I found many Dual Xeon (2x2 core) macs for on ebay action at 350-600 Euros , but I didn't win any of them Searching for something under 1000 , anyway I'm starting to think that I rather stick with my G5 and rebuild my pc.... (I have case , around 8 gb DDR2 -4x2 sticks , and a Quadro FX5500 (7900GTX moded) ) so I just need a board and a cpu also have cooling... Or should I go for an Alienware M11x notebook? seems to fulfill all my gaming and OSX and mobile and space needs... a around 500-600 euros (~700$ ?)
    I honestly wanted to skip pc's because I'm fed up with them :(